what's going on with my chickens? need help

chickenrun1020

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 23, 2012
North Grosvenordale, CT
I need some help, I have 8 chickens of different breeds I am new at chicken keeping and need some advice before winter hits I noticed my chickens we're losing feathers I thought it was weird but figured it was molting I keep a heater in the coop so I wasn't too concerned they act normally eating and drinking fine. my dilemma is they are still without feathers I have one chicken who has a complete bare butt and has been this way for months I thought it's been too long for a molt I checked for bugs and couldn't find any on the birds I did notice one small white pin point bug on the coop itself so I decided to treat with sevin dust. I tested the entire coop and nesting boxes I changed the pine shavings and hay. I even dusted the run. I also gave them de in their favorite dusting area which they use quite often.the chicken that I have my concern with the most is my white chicken the one with the bare butt. she grew quite larger than all the rest of the chickens and she was younger than the rest. she also walks heavier and as of heavier chicken then the rest she has a bulge to her bottom and has always had loose stool. I originally had two of them but one died a few months ago of unknown cause.here is a picture of my white chicken can anybody help I need advice on what to do or if to do anything am I being over concerned?

Mites come out at night so you can also go into the coop at night with a flash light and check to see if you see mites on the roost or on the birds. That would be a very common reason for multiple birds with feather loss. If you find bugs or suspect you have an infestation you will need to treat the birds and the coop every 7 to 10 days until you stop seeing bugs. That is the hatch cycle and it's pretty hard to get every single bug with one treatment and the ones you miss multiply. That's why it's so hard to get rid of them. Try using a spray on the coop instead of a dust, it's easier to get it into all the hiding places where the bugs are.

As for the hen with the swollen abdomen.... she likely has more serious issues going on. Check her over and feel her lower body, see if she has generalized swelling. This would indicate fluid retention, ascites. This results from one of a few problems, none of which are treatable. Most common is probably egg laying/reproductive tract problems or related diseases but it can also be caused by heart problems or liver/kidney problems as well as cancers or other tumors. I've had a few of these birds, I think most of us have. I personally keep them around as long as they are comfortable enough to engage in normal chicken behavior. Once they start feeling crummy I put them down.

Edited to add: I have never had a mite outbreak but I keep a permethrin dust on hand called Y-Tek Gardstar Garden and Poultry Dust. I would use Sevin to spray the coop.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply I just checked coop there was no sign of Mites. I will check the white bird tomorrow to see if I feel anything...she's not anywhere where I can reach her at the moment lol.
I guess the main thing is they don't looks to be in any pain or discomfort....I will update you whether or not I found anything thanks again

Back
Top Bottom