whats going on with my chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mamobaby, May 14, 2008.

1. mamobaby

mamobaby Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2008
    New Orleans
    they are kinda breathing heavy.
    they arent churping lous like somethings wrong,
    and then temperature is fine [i think]
    so whats wrong with them?

2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    what breed? What age? how are they housed and what are you feeding them?

3. mamobaby

mamobaby Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2008
    New Orleans
    Leghorn, Brahnam, and Cochin, and Ideal-Poultry sent us these chimpmunk looking brown ones that i dont know the breed.
    and today they are 10 days old.
    they are in a brooder in my house, eating start and grow..
    im worried its the heat, but when i turn off the lamp, they churp until i turn it back on.
    some just sit there with their mouths open for awhile and pretty much looks like theyre panting.

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  4. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Raise the lamp 6-8 inches to see if that helps. Do they have space to get out from under the lamp when they get too hot?

5. DaveMN

DaveMN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2008
    Moose Lake, Mn
    are they under the lamp or as far away as possible? do you have a thermometer in there so you can see what the temp is where the light shines? might be hotter than you think. also have you cleaned your waterer/disinfected it lately? they can get pretty foul smelling after a couple of days.

6. Donza

Donza Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    SW Ranches FL (SE FL)
    So sorry to hear your babies are sick. By the way the chipmunk-looking ones are probably Dutch/Holland ones (Willsouth or something like that).

I don't see them very often but the hens grow up to be pretty with gold-ish black-laced feathers and the roos are gorgeous with green-gold feathers and gold manes. I have some that are crossed with silkie. They have very sweet personalities - mine even did tricks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by