Whats going on with my Cornish X?

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys!
She of you have probably seen my various other threads about Cornish X chicks for meat and pets. Doodle and Smudge are doing great, but most recent question is about another one of the hens for meat.
They are all about 4-5 weeks old I believe, and I went out to check on the meat flock today, and noticed one of the hens was coughing and wheezing I guess? She had her neck stretched out and up in the air, wit her beak open and it looked like she was gasping for air. She then sneezed a few times, and I assumed she may have worked it out, but I looked back and she was still doing it. I picked her up and brought her to water. She wasn't to interested in drinking, but I did notice bubbles in one of her eyes.
I recently treated a Coccidiosis outbreak, and the temps are starting to rise as well if that has anything to do with it. Any advice is very helpful!
Thanks guys! ☺️
Ps. I would post a video, but I don't have Youtube, and don't really want to get it. If pictures help, I can definitely post those.

Did you feel her throat? She might be choking on her feed like she ate it too fast. Some of my birds do this also because it's too dry and it's dust is irritating her nostrils. Also, just plain chicken dust can be irritating her. How clean are you keeping the coop? (It's ok if not perfectly clean and everything. I've been down that road, it's hard even if you're cleaning the coop every day.) Is she still doing it after some time? It shouldn't last too long.

If you're ok with me asking, might I ask why you don't want YouTube? Also, if this helps with your seven older hens, have you tried Craigslist? Here's an article that might be able to help you out if you wanted to try that: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-post-on-craigslist.76257/

Did you feel her throat? She might be choking on her feed like she ate it too fast. Some of my birds do this also because it's too dry and it's dust is irritating her nostrils. Also, just plain chicken dust can be irritating her. How clean are you keeping the coop? (It's ok if not perfectly clean and everything. I've been down that road, it's hard even if you're cleaning the coop every day.) Is she still doing it after some time? It shouldn't last too long.

If you're ok with me asking, might I ask why you don't want YouTube? Also, if this helps with your seven older hens, have you tried Craigslist? Here's an article that might be able to help you out if you wanted to try that: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-post-on-craigslist.76257/
I didn't check her throat, the first thing I did was come in and make this thread.
I'll check her again, its been a few hours. I really hope thats the issue! After I checked her a moment later, she had moved around and the bubbles in her eyes were completely gone, some I'm wondering if that could have been from something else. I did kinda look like she was possibly choking, so I'll see if she's still doing it.
I'll keep you posted on wether or not the bubbles come back.

I actually do need to clean the coop. Its not to bad but could probably sue new bedding lol! The only reason I haven't was because we aren't getting ew bedding until tomorrow, since I ran out.
I'll keep you posted! I'm really hoping its something else! :fl

For Youtube, I don't know, I've just never thought it was worth it. I've never really looked into Youtube, I just don't love it in general.
I may just look into making an account strictly for BYC though. It seems worth it when you have situations like this were a video is kinda necessary.
Thanks so much!

Alright, she is no longer doing it, so it could have been feed she was trying to swallow. I did here a few of them sneezing, but, I recently use a differnt brand of shavings, which I found to be more dusty then usual since they didn't have the shaving I usually get. I don't remember seeing any of these issues before I switched now that I'm thinking about the coop.
Tomorrow, I will clean the coop out and add the brand of shavings I like. I'll see if any of the sneezing and all that keeps happening. Thanks so much! I am crossing my fingers so hard that its nothing major!
I mean, if the meat birds have it, its not the end of the world, were eating them anyway. I am mostly concerned abbot Doodle and Smudge who I have fallen in love with, and plan to keep. They have been in with these guys often, so I would worry things have spread.

If there are bubbles forming in the corner of the eyes, you're most likely dealing with a mild strain of MG, which is a respiratory disease of poultry. Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD), or most commonly known as Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG). MG is a bacterial infection of poultry, affecting all different species of birds. This disease is most commonly given from infected parents to the offspring, as the MG bacteria can be transmitted vertically into the eggs of developing embryos, making any chicks that hatch, always infected and sick with the bacteria. So please don’t ever breed from your sickly infected flock to sell or giveaway chicks/hens/roosters to anyone. You can freely choose to hatch for yourself, but you should not ever sell and or giveaway any extra roosters as you’ll just be giving someone else your flock’s disease, causing them a devastation. MG is a permanent lifelong chronic disease- meaning, that you can treat or have the symptoms go away, but whenever the bird gets stressed again, the symptoms will keep coming back or get worse. All birds (even recovered birds) remain lifetime long carriers of the MG bacteria, spreading and shedding it through their feces, feathers, dander, respiratory secretions and other bodily fluids. This is a serious permanent lifetime disease of poultry and is incurable, but treatable with antibiotics. Since MG is caused by a bacteria, antibiotics can help keep symptoms at bay until the symptoms resurface whenever birds become stressed again. Keep in mind that over-use and/or misuse of antibiotics also creates antibiotic-resistant bacteria, making the disease harder to treat than before. It’s critical in any livestock animal, especially poultry, to get any sick or symptomatic birds tested to find out which specific disease they have as soon as possible. That being said, most choose to cull all birds, disinfect and start over fresh. If you’d rather not, then the other option is to keep a closed flock- no new birds into your flock and no birds leave your sick flock. If you choose to start over, always quarantine any new birds that you decide to bring into your flock, 30 day quarantine isn’t always enough, therefore, it’s best to do a 60 day quarantine AWAY from your healthy birds, in another area.

Here's more information about MG:

If you are in the US, here is a list of testing and necropsy labs for poultry & other animals:

Back
Top Bottom