whats going on with my hen?

kasey08

Aunt Kasey's Farm
9 Years
Mar 29, 2010
Scottsboro, AL
i have a RIR and game mix hen that lays one egg a day well today i went out to feed them and there was a egg shell and yolk on the run then i look where there house is and i guess she was standing on top of it and laid another egg....it was on the other side of there house no way for her to get there and it was broken....what do you think is going on?

Hard to tell what's going, on from the description. Could be a weak or thin shell that was cracked and once an egg leaks, the hens are ALL OVER it. It could be they're not getting enough calcium - so you should supplement with crushed oyster shell, on the side, always available. It could be the hen laid, while "traveling", and the egg broke because of where it landed. I have one hen occasionally delivers her egg while running around the backyard. She stops, looks, and freezes in motion, squeezes out her egg, and keeps on running the direction she was going. About 1/2 hour later, I'll hear her egg song from the trees somewhere nearby...she finally "remembers" to sing it. She has a noteable voice, that's how I know it's her song. Fortunately, she uses the nestboxes most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom