What's going on with silkies legs

LizGio

Songster
May 18, 2022
Southeastern Pennsylvania
I'm convinced he has scaley leg mites as he's got some pushed up scales between his toes and scabs on his face. but would slm leave these marks? Coop is clean as far as poop goes. He's the only one out of 30 showing symptoms. I've also been battling a respiratory illness with him. I got him and 4 others this spring at TSC. Two died as chicks, he's sick. Seems I only have one healthy silkie from the batch.
PXL_20230602_003049097.jpg

I'm convinced he has scaley leg mites as he's got some pushed up scales between his toes and scabs on his face. but would slm leave these marks? Coop is clean as far as poop goes. He's the only one out of 30 showing symptoms. I've also been battling a respiratory illness with him. I got him and 4 others this spring at TSC. Two died as chicks, he's sick. Seems I only have one healthy silkie from the batch.View attachment 3526442
I'm convinced he has scaley leg mites as he's got some pushed up scales between his toes and scabs on his face. but would slm leave these marks? Coop is clean as far as poop goes. He's the only one out of 30 showing symptoms. I've also been battling a respiratory illness with him. I got him and 4 others this spring at TSC. Two died as chicks, he's sick. Seems I only have one healthy silkie from the batch.View attachment 3526442
Can I see a pic of his face and did he have any abnormalities as a chick

I don't see any signs of scaley leg mites, just the discoloration and skin texture difference.

That might be genetic, but it's just a guess since there's no background history for the chick.

I would focus on the respiratory issue cause that can kill a bird.

I don't see any signs of scaley leg mites, just the discoloration and skin texture difference.

That might be genetic, but it's just a guess since there's no background history for the chick.

100%

IMG_20230601_201719_01.jpg

So I've been working with him for a while. I'll try to get all my facts in order since I tried a couple different things already.

It started out with him being lethargic and just roosting outside in the run with rapid breathing. I noticed bubbles in his eyes so I treated with LA 200 twice three days apart.

His breathing got better but he still had his eyes open halfway for weeks. When I asked somebody told me when their face looks like that is usually due to bugs. Keep in mind that none of my other birds are showing any symptoms of respiratory stress or scaly leg mites or any other kind of bug. We did take everything out of the coop three months ago soak the entire thing with elector PSP inside and out including the run and surrounding area. I also treated each bird on the back under the wings and on the butt. Did this because is I noticed that there were lice on my other silkies. It seems that that problem has been eradicated after time of treatment and I didn't have an issue since until this guy. He's always scratching super itchy.

I decide to take this guy in and give him a really up close inspection and bath. I used just a little bit of dawn dish soap and a toothbrush scrubbed his legs up and down not too hard but thoroughly. I also used the brush on his head around his eyes and on his comb and wattles. I noticed the scab above his eye and also something going on with the top of his head. It looked like a huge scab the size and shape of an acorn top. I soaked it and it came loose but it had new feather growth through it so I really had to work carefully to get it off. The underneath was healed. I noticed in between toes that there were huge pieces of skin being pushed up and off. I covered his legs and the his skin on his face wattles and comb thoroughly with Vaseline.

I just recently gave him another dose of LA because it seems that the eye is extremely goopy and runny.

Entire time he's been eating just fine but drinking large quantities of water constantly. Seems he's pooping regularly.

I'm not sure because of the other silkie issues (two others in his batch died as chicks) if it's just a bad batch of birds this year from the TSC. Maybe have some genetic predisposition that's causing him to get ill. My husband thinks it's best just to cull him and move on. Suggestions? Opinions?

View attachment 3527372
So I've been working with him for a while. I'll try to get all my facts in order since I tried a couple different things already.

It started out with him being lethargic and just roosting outside in the run with rapid breathing. I noticed bubbles in his eyes so I treated with LA 200 twice three days apart.

His breathing got better but he still had his eyes open halfway for weeks. When I asked somebody told me when their face looks like that is usually due to bugs. Keep in mind that none of my other birds are showing any symptoms of respiratory stress or scaly leg mites or any other kind of bug. We did take everything out of the coop three months ago soak the entire thing with elector PSP inside and out including the run and surrounding area. I also treated each bird on the back under the wings and on the butt. Did this because is I noticed that there were lice on my other silkies. It seems that that problem has been eradicated after time of treatment and I didn't have an issue since until this guy. He's always scratching super itchy.

I decide to take this guy in and give him a really up close inspection and bath. I used just a little bit of dawn dish soap and a toothbrush scrubbed his legs up and down not too hard but thoroughly. I also used the brush on his head around his eyes and on his comb and wattles. I noticed the scab above his eye and also something going on with the top of his head. It looked like a huge scab the size and shape of an acorn top. I soaked it and it came loose but it had new feather growth through it so I really had to work carefully to get it off. The underneath was healed. I noticed in between toes that there were huge pieces of skin being pushed up and off. I covered his legs and the his skin on his face wattles and comb thoroughly with Vaseline.

I just recently gave him another dose of LA because it seems that the eye is extremely goopy and runny.

Entire time he's been eating just fine but drinking large quantities of water constantly. Seems he's pooping regularly.

I'm not sure because of the other silkie issues (two others in his batch died as chicks) if it's just a bad batch of birds this year from the TSC. Maybe have some genetic predisposition that's causing him to get ill. My husband thinks it's best just to cull him and move on. Suggestions? Opinions?
Could it be fowl pox?

Back
Top Bottom