whats going on???

treeclimber233

Songster
12 Years
Nov 12, 2007
I have had 4 turkeys since spring. Iwas raising them for Thanksgiving dinner. Last week I noticed one of the turkeys was shivering and it was not even cold out. two days later one of them was dead. I am guessing it was the one that was shivering. Later I noticed another one shivering and it still is not cold out. This morning another one was dead. The others are not shivering so I am guessing the dead one is the one that was shivering the other day. What is going on? None of my chickens seem to be affected. The two that died were definately heavy and ready to be butchered. They were also the two largest ones in the pen so it is not likely they were being bullied. A friend of mine has peacocks and she told me one of her babies was shivering and died two days later. These birds have had no contact but I am wondering what might be happening. I hope someone can help me.

I am feeding chicken layer pellets and they are penned in a 5x5 tractor that I move every few days. They are heavy and look good with glossy feathers so I assumed they are healthy. This morning another one is shivering.

Without any additional external symptoms, it would be difficult to say. Shivering, like in people, could indicate fever? You might want to do a necropsy or call your state vet and see if they can do one reasonably. Does your friend come over to your house or you to her's? you could carry the disease on your shoes or clothing.

What part of the country are you in? could it have been getting very cold overnight? Could it have rained on them overnight, or could the ground be damp if they are roosting on the ground? Could a predator have bitten them -- did you check for any puncture wounds?

Back
Top Bottom