Whats going on??????

chickencity

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Went out this morning. Found six meat chickens that looked dead until you touch.them. They move and some.scream. The other six are fine. I fed them at 7pm last night they were fine. Only thing changed was the feeder. It was metal but clean and kept with all other feeders. Any ideas?

How old are they, and which breed? Just asking because I have seen cornish rock chickens at about 5 or 6 weeks old get so rapidly big that they start collapsing, looking dead but otherwise «fine»...

They are cornish rock. I have had them since the end of april but they have been free ranging so they weren't big enough to slaughter so penned them up about a week ago. I could still slightly feel the brest bone this wensday. The other six are as normal as could be went out to range this morning.

So now it's been a few hours already... any change? Are they drinking or eating at all? If picked up, do they stand or walk a few steps?
They are getting to be old for this breed though... could you post a picture?

I had to leave for work so. I'm not sure if they have changed any. Four would drink when I put water infront of them. Two could. Not sit up just lay down contorted. They can't walk

I believe it is wry neck I have been giving vit e oil. So far one ha passed all the others are still laying still only moving when touched

I feel sorry for you and your chickens, this is very unfortunate! If it was wry neck, wouldn't they still be able to walk though? My experience with meat birds is very limited, but I do know that when birds of this breed get older and bigger some of them just can't cope with their own metabolisms... My friends usually raise 100 of them every year, free ranging too and organic feed, and once some of them were starting to collapse and die of a heart-attack it seemed like, so they had to make the butchering happen faster than predicted... Sorry, I am afraid I don't have a solution for you! Maybe someone else will be able to give you a different perspective... and it would help to have a picture... Don't give up on them!

Just an update. I was only able to save one of the chickens he got back to normal with in a few days but then got off balance again sunday so I put him back in a cage with viamins water and feed. He also feels starved even though all the others are nice and big. Im just going to keep him seperate.

Back
Top Bottom