What's in stock at your TSC Chick Days?

We were finally successful at a larger store. I had to call around to 3 different stores in the area before I found the one with all the Chicks.

They had Red Sex-link, Black Sex-link, Welsummer pullets.

We got 2 of each. I already like the Welsummer chicks because they're MUCH more active but they may be a day or 2 older. Hoping none are Cockerels but wouldn't be surprised either way.

Started working on their new large coop and addressing the ventilation.

We were finally successful at a larger store. I had to call around to 3 different stores in the area before I found the one with all the Chicks.

We got 2 of each. I already like the Welsummer chicks because they're MUCH more active but they may be a day or 2 older. Hoping none are Cockerels but wouldn't be surprised either way.

Started working on their new large coop and addressing the ventilation.
Honestly, as I look at my culling project and what genes to bring in in the future, I keep looking at Welsummers. A lot to like. Good luck on your coop build, may it go quickly and smoothly.

/edit and I should be able to swing by at least one, likely two, TSCs today (in different districts). WIll update with what I find. One of my stores was setting up two weeks ago while I was grabbing some forage for my goats (also in short supply this year).

We're just learning different breeds. Our first were Easter Eggers and we love the fact that they're all different looking. Like the new chicks... we notice a few little differences but are going to wait until they're a little older to name them. I know we want tame chickens who are good foragers that are on the darker side for free ranging. I like the idea of different eggs as well. The Easter Eggers we have produce a pretty small egg and have for over a month now, so I guess that's what size they'll be.

If the EE rooster breeds with the other non EE chickens.... would that produce EE chicks? I'm curious if that's how the mutt breed of EE is with a blue dominant egg. I just like the chickens.

I will know for sure when I go in on Wednesday(Food Day), according to their site from our store, chick days has started. Mine usually don't start chick days until March.

The sex-links can be sexed by color. So if you post photos of the chicks, someone here can tell you if they are female.

For the Welsummers, you should be able to tell for sure once they grow feathers on their breasts. Females get salmon breasts, and males get black breasts.

(All of that assumes that they were labeled correctly. Sexlink pullets have the same colors as females OR MALES of some other breeds. And some other kinds of chicks can look like Welsummer chicks, but grow up to have different colors in their feathers.)

Wednesday is your chickens food day! I get my chickens food on Wednesdays too!😂
Most of the time we get ours on Wednesday, sometimes I get it Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday. Depends on if their feed bin needs a refill on a certain day. Wednesday seems to be most frequent.

Back
Top Bottom