whats killing my chickens

granny25uk

Chirping
6 Years
May 7, 2015
I had 3 chickens all in separate coups .2 months ago I went out to feed them and found my beautiful coco dead in her house . So I fumigated the house and pen and last week I moved Tilly into cocos house . this morning ive gone to feed her and she was dead just the same as coco . I don't know what to do and don't know whats killed them . Ive kept chickens for 18 yrs and never had this problem . They weren't old

I had 3 chickens all in separate coups .2 months ago I went out to feed them and found my beautiful coco dead in her house . So I fumigated the house and pen and last week I moved Tilly into cocos house . this morning ive gone to feed her and she was dead just the same as coco . I don't know what to do and don't know whats killed them . Ive kept chickens for 18 yrs and never had this problem . They weren't old

The thing comes in my mind is contagious virus which is deadly any
E.g Mareks

Chicken shed it in the face of their feather dender or dust

Moving your healthy chicken into ur old hen.cage maybe kill.her because these virus survive months or even year outside

I'm extremely sorry for ur loss

well I only have 1 hen left. She has her own pen and house well away frome the one where the other 2 died. ive kept her on her own as she was badly attacked last year , and was left with a limp . Will she get it do you think . Thanks so much for your help

Old birds can get, carry, and spread Marek's without dying from or showing it's symptoms pretty often. My flock has had Marek's disease for over a year now and I have only lost two birds that were over 1 year old. I mainly just lose cockerels and pullets, their deaths usually would take a week or more but I just cull them once they start walking weird. I have had some birds get killed within a day or two but they usually show some extreme symptoms a few hours before death. They get very lethargic, can't walk, they feel all droopy, and their pupils burst into weird shapes. If two of your birds got Marek's then that coop is already infected with it and the old hen already has it two, it's on your clothes and in your house. Next time get vaccinated birds if it really is Marek's. You can have your birds tested for the disease. Until you get testing done I would not assume it was Marek's, there are plenty of diseases that can kill birds overnight and if you can't name any symptoms then we can't narrow it down to just one.

Back
Top Bottom