Whats My Grey Silkies Quality? Rate Petie

Thanks everyone for your input on Petie I always thought he was just gray.
hu.gif

He a good boy though and is my big fluffy baby. I didn't plan on doing any showing of him just wondered if he would give me some nice babies..LOL

To me he is wonderful and one of my nicest roosters for sure. Did I meantion how excited I was to know he was giving me fertile eggs?LOL

The calicos I've had were red not buff. Usually male. I had a pullet last year who did not make it to maturity--very pretty little girl. Most, but not all her red was on her breast, and it was a lighter shade than the boys.

this isn't the greatest pic but this is a calico showgirl roo i've had them in both males and females and in silkies also. it may look kinda redish due to lighting but in person it is buff colored splattering.

HPIM1549.jpg

Quote:
Yes he has turned out to be something thank you for him! I had been wonderng who I should pair him with and now I know! The black pullet from you would make a great match for him. I set one of her eggs today under my broody but the sire of them will be the white silkie roo I got from you also. I have one of the other black pullets i got from you with him now but she is not as lovely as pretty gurl but she is nice. As soon as spring comes I will be rearranging breeding pens and I will put her with him. Thanks again for all the lovely silkies you have giving to me. If you ever want any eggs or chicks I'll give you great deals that you always gave to me!!

Quote:
Thank you I like his color too...

I may have some pics of him when he was younger...Thats why I always thought he was grey...

Here they are

Petie when he was 5 months old he is 7 months old now in the new pics in this pic he was 5 months
SDC10212.jpg

When i first got petie he was like almost 3 months?? I think
chick4001.jpg

He's not SQ, and in my opinion, not even BQ. The presence of red in the plumage should not be bred in a line if breeding for show. Also, his comb is too large and too red.

Quote:
"Calico" does not have a standard description. The term was originally applied in silkies to greys with rust in the feathers. These birds could neither be shown nor bred as greys, so they were described as "calico" as a way to quickly sell off mismarked culls.

I am not wanting to show I agree if breeding for SQ to sell as SQ i don't think he should be bred but to me He is a very nice looking guy and I think he would make some nice little chickies with one of my nice girls. I never will indacate I sell SQ only breeder/pet quality. I have very nice and BEAUTIFUL birds but coming from a mixed color flock and the colors being mixed matched in the birds is beautiful to me and I know that is a DQ in showing. If I wanted to show I'd buy quality birds from a Quality show breeder.

I love my guy and can't wait to see what his chicks will come out like.

Kentuckysilkies sold these guys to me because they were not what he wants for his breeding because he is breeding for SQ birds only. I was lucky enough to get to make these babies mine.

He is a beautiful bird and I am glad he is mine!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom