What's normal after passing rubber egg?

Just read this and think this is the culprit: too much spinach ;(

Prevention:

1) Crushed eggshell or oyster shell should always be made available to your flock on a free-choice basis, not mixed into their feed. This way each hen can eat as much or as little as she needs. Different hens absorb calcium differently, and depending on how good a layer she is, one hen may just need more than another.

2) Avoid feeding spinach, as well as beet greens, chards and citrus fruits, all of which which can interfere with calcium absorption. If soft-shelled eggs are a problem, try cutting those treats out completely. If you do feed them in the future, add some apple cider vinegar to their water (1 Tablespoon of ACV per gallon of water) which helps increase calcium absorption rates.

Thanks so much ... I think stress may be a factor too.

So you don't have to mix the oyster shells - with feed. We feed them the organic layer feed from Costco or our local feed store. Same brand. I'm going to crush up some eggs shells tomorrow.

Just read this and think this is the culprit: too much spinach ;(

Prevention:

1) Crushed eggshell or oyster shell should always be made available to your flock on a free-choice basis, not mixed into their feed. This way each hen can eat as much or as little as she needs. Different hens absorb calcium differently, and depending on how good a layer she is, one hen may just need more than another.

2) Avoid feeding spinach, as well as beet greens, chards and citrus fruits, all of which which can interfere with calcium absorption. If soft-shelled eggs are a problem, try cutting those treats out completely. If you do feed them in the future, add some apple cider vinegar to their water (1 Tablespoon of ACV per gallon of water) which helps increase calcium absorption rates.

Thanks so much ... I think stress may be a factor too.

So you don't have to mix the oyster shells - with feed. We feed them the organic layer feed from Costco or our local feed store. Same brand. I'm going to crush up some eggs shells tomorrow.
Where did you read that....can you provide a link?

Egg shells are ok, but oyster shell is better (stays longer in system for absorption).
Best not to mix either in with feed, but offer in a separate container.

Mine was a fluke. She just started laying and I think that was the cause. What helps me more now...I remind myself that the species survived a long time without worry and someone catering to them. It helps to let go.

Helpful Links:

Dangers of feeding too much spinach

http://fresheggsdaily.com/2014/06/the-danger-of-feeding-too-much-spinach.html

5 easy steps to feeding egg shells & myths

http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2017/05/5-easy-steps-to-feeding-your-chickens.html?m=1

Crushing eggshells

http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2012/02/crushing-eggshells.html?m=1

Sorry, I have a hard time replying on my iPhone sometimes and out internet is out due to a drunk driver that took out our utility poll 2 days ago.

That said you will love
fresheggsdaily.com

Thanks for all your thoughtful and helpful responses.

The best way I can reply to a post is to create an iPhone note then copy and paste it here.

I just created a new Instagram just for the chickens if you want to follow me @dowlingschickenfarm you'll see our 6 month old girls and their new 3 week old sisters
Too much spinach was the culprit for me.
1f622.png
So hard to remember what they can't eat but we're learning.
1f602.png

Back
Top Bottom