Whats old hen who does not lay called?

Agreed on the personal choice issue, and the whole growing fad of the pet chicken movement is ensuring this train of thought to be the norm. I don't name my birds for simpler reasons.......... being I just don't have the time nor the inclination to remember or refer to them by name. But I see where more and more folks are keeping chickens as pet's and the chicken has a home for life trend is a bonefide industry, making those of us who aren't quite into it that way feel a little ostracated and shunned. Therefore restricting on commenting in a particular way as not to offend the huggers, just trying to get along here.

Quote:
That right there. I have a whole coop of the darlings. My brahma girls are now 3 years, 7 months old. Molting right now, but I know they will continue to contribute to the daily egg production when they come out of it. The smallest of them, a bantam brahma named Maggie, finished her molt in under two weeks and is now back to laying.

When all my other hens have quit laying through the winter I know my brahma girls will come through for me.

I call them spent or useless really. The age doesn't make a huge difference to me, whether they are 1 or 5 years old, if they aren't laying, they don't stay around.

Well writen!!!!!
clap.gif
bun.gif

Spent
Old
useless
barren
finished
washed up
done
dead meat
soup
tommorows leftovers
dense mass taking up space

good names for old hens:

sweetie
old lady of the coop
retired
princess
friend
golden girl
blessing

think I prefer the sweetie list

Quote:
It's also a matter of scale. Someone who raises hundreds of birds isn't going to have the same feelings about them as someone who has four. When you only have a few birds, they are individuals with personalities. When you have hundreds, one bird is a lot like another.

A layover? Seriously, ours are pets, too, and will continue to be so when they have spent their eggs.

Back
Top Bottom