What's on your floor?

Does this sound right?

Sounds good to me as a starting point. As you said, your nose will let you know if you need to change.

Some people use the deep litter method in the coop or in the run. That's where you turn it into a compost pile. You can put practically anything in there that you would put in a regular compost pile, Grass clippings, hay, straw, dried leaves, kitchen wastes, garden excess and wastes, really not many limits. Wood tends to break down slower but wood shavings and wood chips will eventually break down. The microbes that break it down and turn it into compost need a certain amount of moisture to live and reproduce. If it stays too wet too long it can go anaerobic, that's when your nose says something is wrong. If the area drains well your chickens will probably keep it turned so it dries out well so you usually don't have a problem. But if it is in a place where water normally stands or weather sets in wet for too long you might have a problem. The deep litter method works well for some people but for many it's not suitable. We all have unique circumstances.

Droppings boards are used to collect poop under the roosts. Chickens poop wherever they are. At night they don't move around so the poop can build up under the roosts. If it builds up too thick it won't dry out and can start to stink. We use the term droppings boards but we use all kind of ways to collect that poop. Some people build trays and fill the tray with sand, PDZ, something like that and use some type of scoop to scoop the poop out. Some use absorbent bedding and change that out every so often. Some use plywood, painted plywood, or linoleum over wood and scrape the poop off. Some use bins of some type sitting on the floor to catch the poop as it falls. Droppings boards are a generic name for lots of different poop collection systems.

We often like photos. The first one is my main roosts. The top of my built-in brooder is also a droppings board. Since it did not go all the way I put a couple of bins to catch that area. Gives me something convenient to scrape the poop into.
Brooder Bins.JPG

This is my juvenile roost, over my nests. A horrible design but this was a late addition. It still works.
Nests.JPG

How often do you need to clean under a droppings board? Some people do it daily as part of their everyday routine. Others have their regular schedule. I don't have a regular schedule, you can probably tell by the photos. If I have a lot of chickens inside pooping at night and the air is humid I might need to scrape once a week. If I have very few chickens and the weather is pretty dry I've been known to go six weeks. Over the years I've learned to judge it. If I wait too long my nose lets me know.

My set-up is totally different to yours. My walk-in coop has a dirt floor. I use wood shavings on it and remove the nightly poop. I keep it so dry it never composts. I clean it out once every three or four years, not because I need to but I want that stuff on my garden. My main run is dirt. It has a roof over most of it but rain blows in from the side anyway. If the weather sets in wet it turns muddy. I've built up critical areas that stay pretty dry but for the most part I live with it. Mine also have a large area inside electric netting that is covered with grass so that's where they spend most of their time and daytime poop anyway.

I'm pretty laid back in how I manage it but I'm set up so I can be. With small facilities you often have to work harder. Pay attention to what others say, they are closer to your conditions than me anyway. But you will need to find your own way. Often that is by trial and error.

Good luck!

We somewhat free range our girls. The coop run area 50'x40' and the free range section is 30'x100' and they forage to their heart's content.
They have eaten 75% of the "short grass" and the "tall grass" is their special place that they ARE eating just not as fast and have made tunnels/paths and just seem to enjoy being in it.

my girls do not like to roost in the coop. they stay out in the enclosed run and perch on a bar. the coop is inside the run but they only go inside to lay. even in the winter they sleep outside in the enclosed 6x12 run.

I assume you're fine with the birds sleeping in the run, but I'd personally want them inside. You might be able to convince them to sleep inside with some changes to the coop, like more ventilation.

my girls do not like to roost in the coop. they stay out in the enclosed run and perch on a bar. the coop is inside the run but they only go inside to lay. even in the winter they sleep outside in the enclosed 6x12 run.
I assume you're fine with the birds sleeping in the run, but I'd personally want them inside. You might be able to convince them to sleep inside with some changes to the coop, like more ventilation.
Ditto Dat....and run is not predator proof with that chicken wire.

Back
Top Bottom