What's on your Holiday Menu??

HenThymes

pippin ain't easy
9 Years
Feb 27, 2010
Foothills of NC
This year we decided not to have ham or turkey as we had both at Thanksgiving and be very non traditional (for us). Seeing how it's just our little family this year having no relatives coming in town we figured we have some of our favorites.
big_smile.png

Spinach Dip w/crackers & pumpernickel bread
Crescent wrapped mini sausages
Cranberry Chutney/Cream Cheese crackers
(All as finger foods through out the day)

DH's famous Lasagna
droolin.gif

"Gump" bread turned into Cheesy Italian Loaf
(Dinner)

Hot Cranberry-Apple Cider

Gobs and gobs of cookies
love.gif

So what's on your menu???
caf.gif

Prime Rib
Aparagus w/ Hollandaise
Waldorf salad
baby red taters

We don't do a huge thing for Christmas anymore. Just hubby and I and the cat.

Its just going to be immediate family for us too.. and I don't feel hammy, or roasty, or turk-ish.. what im feeling is FRIED CHICKEN (not my girls). Im thinking Fried chicken, mashed taters with gravy, creamed corn, peas, cornbread, fried mushrooms and red velvet cake for dessert...thats what im feeling

Hi all

It wouldn't be Christmas at our place unless there is a traditional turkey feast.

25-30 lb roast turkey with bread dressing made with summer savory
PEI potatoes (mashed -- no butter, cream or other additives)
gravy
carrots
rutabaga
peas
cranberry sauce
homemade mustard pickles

plum pudding with brown sugar sauce

Probably a bottle of wine for those of us who like it. All leftovers will be reheated for extra "Christmas dinners" for the next several days - which allows the cook to be lazy and have a day or so off from cooking.

Merry Christmas everyone!

PEI Chicken

Seafood chowder for Christmas eve.

Christmas day will be:
ham
filling with gravy
sweet potatoes
corn
green beans
cranberry relish
pumpkin roll
cookies
coffee
And a bottle (or two) of my best homemade wine

Traditional Polish Christmas

Ham
Kielbasa--fresh and smoked
Kapusta
Creamed herring
Rye bread
Horseradish cheese
Pierogi--cheese, potato

We also usually have a vegetable tray and cookies for dessert although we're all pretty bloated by the end of dinner for some reason
hmm.png

Two Christmas Eve Night:

#1 - Potluck dinner, everybody brings a favorite dish: pork pie, spagetti caserole, mashed potatoes, turkey, ham
#2 - Ham and Potatoes + all of the baked goods

Christmas day is at my house, no idea what we're doing yet, but we might do an egg breakfast to Celebrate our girls starting to lay on the 1st!

A Few Years Back We Kinda Got Burnt Out On The Turkey And Ham Thing And Went To Lasagna As The Main Course And Have Stuck With It. Although With 20 To 40 People Showing Up Its Sort Of A Pot Luck Thing So The Menu Can Get A Little Different But The Family Gets Together And Nobody Leaves Hungry So Thats Ok.

Merry Christmas Dan

Last edited:
This year we are having soup. No one helps me at the holidays and I am done with that. So I have announced that I get help or next year Burger King is open on Thanksgiving and I won't be surprised if it is Christmas also.

So, my stepdaughter who is 31 and I have planned the menu. I told her lets do soup. I am making my family's Sausage Chowder she is making Paula Deen's Taco Soup. Her husband jumped on the wagon and said he would like to make Banana Pudding. My special needs daughter will make her deviled eggs. We will have finger foods set out during the day. My husband who has ignored the entire thing looked up at me this week and said we are having ham aren't we. I said to him if that is what you are going to cook. I wil get stuff to make sandwiches and that will be good with the soups!!

One finger food that is great....easy to make. Use pillsbury crosiants.....put a mixture of breakfast sausage crumbled and added to cream cheese in a dollop on the big end and rol them up. Bake as usual. Everyone loves them.

So....we are making it simple and easy on the cook. I have spent a fortune on the holidays in the past and cooked until I could barely stand with no help. No more for me. I think I should be able to enjoy the holiday as well as everyone else and not fall out when it is over! Leftovers will go to my mom's on Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom