whats safe to use from a sawmil

mamato3

Songster
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
SWMissouri
so i have started to call sawmills in my area to get some bedding one lady i talked to says hers would be mostly plywood dust and shavings. Would that be saft to use? Would the glue they use in plywood be bad? Any other things i should know to ask pepole? I know cedar is bad pine is good and no walnut

ok found someone else to give me shavings is Red oak, hickery ooo he said some other tree to o well are those all ok to use? is there any kind of shaving i should not use?

The only ones I know not to use is cedar shavings. Anyone have a answer here. I'm lucky,,,,my woodmill only cuts Pine,,,
D.gif
big_smile.png

Red cedar is the main 'problem cedar' AFAIK, not so much white cedar, if that matters. The biggest issue is pressure-treated wood (even the newfangled stuff)... if they process ANY pressure-treated, I would not even *consider* any of their shavings.

My main concern would be the plywood glue too... I do not think I'd want to use shavings with lotsa that in it
hmm.png

Good luck,

Pat

Wood sawdust........Avoid Walnut, the glues in the wood are not that harmful, Formaldahyde / Urea based ( wouldnt worry about that with my girls) Walnut avoid......REd Cedar, (for safety sake, avoid all cedar) unless your sure its not aromatic red cedar. it has a way of irritating mucosa. A great substitute for shavings is
Finished compost. YES we have used compost in dairys to almost eliminate mastittus. Our freerangers love compost, plus its easy to deal with after they "add" to it.
I have an abundance of firbark and peatmoss planting mix, They love that stuff. Its not the new stuff, i recycle plant material from nurseries.
(hundreds of cubic yards per year)
But you could talk to your local greenhouses and see if they could toss you some old plants to put in your compost pile or to let the girls dig thru it for fun and adventure. (our girls love that stuff)

Enjoy the day
JAck [email protected]

Feel free to drop me a line if you have questions......

Back
Top Bottom