What's taking so long???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hisdaughter, Jun 22, 2011.

1. hisdaughter

hisdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Lakeland
    I got these 2 mutt chickens 4/16 for my birthday. The lady that sold them to me said the black one is an Australorp mix (with what she didn't say) and the white and black one is ???. My questions are this, they should be 5-6 months old and don't seem to be laying eggs. The Australorp is HUGE! Could she be a he but not crowing? Do you think they are just younger than I think? I am feeding them grower with oyster shell and grit. Plenty of fresh water and a spacey coop/run. Any opinions would be helpful and what color do you think their eggs will be?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Ooo, the black is a roo (sorry if that's bad news!).

The white is a Delaware pullet. If she's 5 months old, that's 20 weeks. It's not unusual for hens to take up to 24 weeks to lay. Mine are at 17 and 1/2 weeks and I feel like I'm going to die waiting for them [​IMG]

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I'm not so sure on their age but the black one looks like a boy to me! (and probably at least part Jersey Giant)

Do you have pictures from when you first got them? I'm curious to see how much change there has been.

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    My first Rhode Island Reds took 28 weeks to lay. I didnt think those girls would ever lay. And your black one is a boy.

5. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    The white one is a Columbian Wyandotte (Rose comb, clean Columbian pattern)

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yeah, that is a Columbian Wyandotte, not a Delaware. She has a rose comb and solid black hackles. Dels have barred hackles and single combs. [​IMG]

7. hisdaughter

Apr 30, 2011
    Lakeland
    If the black one is a roo how come I don't have cockeldooing? and why no fertilized eggs? I have 2 1 yr old hens in the same pen. And the plot thickens..Or do I have fertilized eggs but not know it cause I put the other chickens eggs right in the refrig. No bloody spots in them though. My camera's battery just died so when it recharges, I will post pictures when they were younger. Thanks for all of your assistance

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Blood spots in eggs has nothing to do with fertilization, not one thing. That is just when a capillary bursts along the reproductive tract of the hen. The eggs are probably fertile.

Some roosters take a long time to start crowing.

Check out this thread about fertile vs infertile eggs: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

9. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Yes my goodness that Black one is a cockerel,

10. hisdaughter

Apr 30, 2011
    Lakeland
    Debid asked for pics when they were younger. Here are 2 (the best I have) from 4/16
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by