What's that smell? A Dying skunk in our back yard.

Nifty-Chicken

Administrator
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
Last night I got home from the airport and went to put the girls to bed. Smelled like skunk and I got worried. I noticed a young pullet was not with her sister (she always is). I looked around for chicken parts and something darted in front of me. I was scared to death that it was a skunk about to spray me. Nope, it was the young pullet... no idea why she was out prancing around so late at night... maybe scared by a skunk?

Anyway, it still smelled like skunk today. Neighbor said he saw some vultures in a tree so I went in the back and saw black with a white stripe. Looks like a skunk has a broken back (dragging its back end).

Called animal control, I think they are coming over to shoot it. Kinda sad to see it suffering back there.

Nifty - that is so sad, but remember they are wild animals that can carry rabies. I'm thinking he probably got hit by a car, but rabies is a possibility and can cause paralysis. Stay away from it and make sure the authorities take it with them.

Jody

Scary! No cars could have gotten to it anywhere around where it is, unless it traveled a ways after getting hit.

Didn't even think of rabies!
barnie.gif

Mdbucks... totally good point! Our old indoor Lab would have definitely cause a problem.

Well, the animal control came by. We told Alana (4 year old) that it needed to be killed and her comment, "Do you think he will use a shovel?"

Seriously, where did our urban 4 year old get that from?

He shot it with a 22 rifle and it's gone. My tax dollars at work.

It's best that it was shot instead of suffering, poor thing. Did animal control take the body? Usually they do to test the brain for rabies.

Back
Top Bottom