1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's the best bedding for a run & coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FDaniels, Feb 24, 2014.

1. FDaniels

FDaniels Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2013
    Oneonta, AL
    We're going to be getting 5 girl sex links soon and we're planning the run & coop but I've been reading about bedding & I've read great things about sand but what kind of sand? And is sand the best option for the run & coop? Or is something better for the run & then something else better for the coop? If we go with sand how much would we need for 5 hens/how often/etc?? And what's the average cost of it? Thanks!!

Any & all tips/advice about keeping the run & coop as clean as possible would be great. We live in Alabama where we have extremely hot & humid summers & freezing cold winters. We don't really have much of a cool breeze spring so it's mainly those 2 harsh climates every year.

Oh and the run will be roughly 300-400 sq ft & the coop will be about 40 sq ft

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It depends on climate as you know. If using sand, the coarser the better but any kind will work. Chickens scratch and dust bathe and they'll eat some so the sand will seem to disappear. I'd go with about 6 inches to start.
    Nice size space for 5 birds.
    The chickens won't find an Alabama winter to be harsh. It's very humid here too but much colder in winter. I prefer pine shavings in the coop(deep litter method) and straw in the run.
    Make sure they have lots of shade for summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by