Whats the best bedding for nesting boxes

What's best will vary from one person to the next. People use straw, hay, wood chips, wood shavings, dried leaves, shredded paper, rags, carpet, feed bags, or Spanish moss to name some of them. People have tried some of these and didn't like it so they tried something else. There can be some trial and error in this before you find what you like.

I think nest bedding should be relatively inexpensive and readily available. I cut and dry long grass from areas I don't mow or weed eat. Pretty close to hay but nor exactly. It's free for a little work.
Ended up doing the same thing. Tried pine needles and they do like it but breaks down quickly. The dried long grass I liked because they don't scratch it out as easily and it doesn't break down as quickly, plus you can kind of intertwine it so it keeps it's shape pretty well. My girls were used to putting their eggs outdoors anyways so I guess it was an "easier" transition to convincing them to lay indoors.

Thanks everyone for replying im trying this hemp stuff ive tried the pine shavings but my chooks dont like that so at the moment ive got 3 boxes with grass hay and 3 with this hemp stuff i will update which one they like
I currently have hemp in there but it's a little too fine for my liking (it sticks to the bloom more readily) so I'll probably switch back to aspen shavings, which is what I used before.

I did try drying long grass before to make my own hay, but the chickens immediately started eating it so that was a no-go for me.

I currently have hemp in there but it's a little too fine for my liking (it sticks to the bloom more readily) so I'll probably switch back to aspen shavings, which is what I used before.

I did try drying long grass before to make my own hay, but the chickens immediately started eating it so that was a no-go for me.
Hmm interesting I guess chickens in different parts are used to eating different things (from what I've seen on this thread); mine won't eat dried grass, only fresh :D.
And I have noticed that new chickens with different eating habits will teach the others new edible stuff.
The old chickens that we had wouldn't eat oranges, but then we got some new ones from a friend and they did, so the old ones learnt from them :). Now our rooster loves oranges (we don't provide them too often as I've heard they might gain too much weight) but we have been giving them some now that it's been cold so they might get more vitamin c, not sure if it makes a difference, but they like the treat anyways hehe).

I like to use hay. Long hay that stays together in a clump, as opposed to chopped straw or pine shavings, which are loose and scatter easily. When I wind the hay around in a nest shape, and stuff a whole bunch of it in the nest, it pretty much stays together as one mass, that the hen sits inside of. Sometimes she'll rearrange it, but it mostly stays together and inside the nest. Looser material gets tracked in and out of the nest, kicked out, or they just dig through it in their rearranging process and clear out the bottom of the nest to bare wood, then the egg might crack against the hard wood. I find that when I use hay, they don't get down to the wood, so the nest is always padded.

I have read around BYC somewhere that hens prefer a material that holds its shape so it will support the hen's body and egg(s) without falling apart. I think this mostly applies to broody hens trying to hatch eggs, but I'm sure the regular egg layers enjoy this too! So long fibers like straw, hay, dried pine needles, etc. seem like great options, and like others have said these materials are less prone to getting kicked out of the nests.

Of course, the best materials are readily available for cheap or free! I'm planning on using hay that my goats waste, but I also have an abundance of pine needles I would like to experiment with as well.

I use pine shavings and my chickens love it. Don't use hay, it can easily be a great place for mites and other bugs to get attracted to. Hay can also mold easily. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom