What's the best begginner quail?

Dannyo

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 24, 2008
Gainesville
I'm planning to raise quail, I've wanted to for years and I'm finally going to make a serious effort this spring. I'm a big fan of upland bird hunting and will be using my quail for training dogs (hopfully) but primarily for eating and hobby at the house.

From what I've gathered reading on my own I'm thinking coturnix is going to be the most forgiving breed to begin with. Is it worth it to try the jumbo strains sense I'll mostly be raising them for meat? Does anyone know how a dog responds to the scent of coturnix compaired to bobwhite. I originally thought I would like to raise bobwhite, are they as unpredictable as I'm afraid they are?

Does anyone raise quail in Texas? I'd like to thank Monarc23 for the very informative post on coturnix including permit info, however I am having trouble finding the specifics in texas.

Thanks for your thoughts:)

Quote:
You're very welcome and thank you!

As for dogs with coturnix, I'm new to training dogs on quails, and dont plan to train my boy anymore on them (because I adore them too much haha), but the training i did do with him, (he's an american cocker spaniel) he goes off of sight not scent with quails so I can't tell you much about the scent diferences however I bet there isn't much of a difference but who am i do say!
smile.png

Taking my boy pheasant/squirrel/rabbit hunting on friday!

You know I reccomend coturnix hands down
wink.png
Jumbos are the way to go for meat, and would be great for training dogs. My boy did well with them, they don't fight once caught they just kind of give up so it's a good confidence booster for the pups/dogs.

Good luck in what you decide on!

Thanks for the insight. Jumbos it is! hehe I think it's best sometimes to go with your gut, but it's always nice to hear someone agree with you.

Hey there! Got an e-mail from you earlier and will be replying again soon.

I will be raising quail shortly, I am waiting for my first batch of hatching eggs from someone on here, and will set another batch probably immediately after the first hatch.

With luck, I will have quail for sale within a few months.
smile.png

And you're right, finding specifics about species in Texas is a right pain in the butt. I cannot find anything regarding permits pertaining to coturnix, however, the A & M was developed here and once in a while I see quail for sale in the paper, so I'm not thinking there are huge issues. If I learn more, I'll let you know.

Back
Top Bottom