What's the best breed to let run semi-feral?

Pics
I started with 15 chickens. Over 8 months, I've lost 3 to illness, 2 to predation and one to it's own stupidity. Honestly, it seems like for at least my small patch of the world, the chickens are their own worst enemy :p It remains to be seen how they get through winter though.

Last edited:
Roosters are 5-6lbs and hens are 3-4lbs. Not all the birds in the pictures are available but are examples of what I have.
This white hen is available, she is a medium size hen, 3-3 1/2 pounds. She raised all of the chicks pictured in 2021 without losing any to hawks.
IMG_3047.JPG
IMG_2840.JPG
IMG_2284.JPG
IMG_9968 (2).JPG
IMG_9300.JPG

This cockerel is available too. I have others available not pictured.
IMG_9579.JPG

We do have foxes and coyotes here, but I have never had any issues with them. I do have a Great Pyrenees now, but for the first two years of living here I did not have the Pyrenees and I had no issues with fox or coyote. I don't know if they just weren't hungry enough or if the neighborhood dogs kept them at bay. Every year when the coyote hunters come through here they always get several coyotes. I tend to have more problems with raccoon, opossum or skunks than anything else other than the normal hawk population. I take all precautions with night time roosting areas. They are either inaccessible to night time varmints (to tall to jump up and catch and not climbable by raccoon) or closeable coops that are large breed dog proof.

Really nice. I don't seem to have much trouble with aerial predators, it's dogs and foxes that seem to be the issue. And silly curious chickens who encounter venomous snakes and peck at them.

Back
Top Bottom