Whats the best breeds for year round egg laying ?

papileo

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 22, 2014
Los Angeles, California
i am looking for a breed type that can lay brown or white eggs year round. I currently have a Wyandotte, and she needs more companions since she is not laying I'm looking for a reliable breed. Which one do you guys recommend by experience ?

The best layers in the chicken world are Black and Red Sex Links (for brown eggs) and White Leghorns (for white eggs). I've raised all three (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. In an ideal situation (warm temperatures and good lighting), White Leghorns are unmatched with a White Leghorn holding the laying record with 371 eggs in 365 days (set in 1979). However, if you are in an area with really cold winter temperatures, the Sex Links hold up better under the sub-zero temperatures and in my experience will outlay the White Leghorns on really short, frigid winter days. My Black Sex Links have been especially persistent layers on those really cold days. Also, they are typically the friendliest of the three, and they tend to lay the largest eggs with double yolks not being uncommon.

The best layers in the chicken world are Black and Red Sex Links (for brown eggs) and White Leghorns (for white eggs). I've raised all three (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. In an ideal situation (warm temperatures and good lighting), White Leghorns are unmatched with a White Leghorn holding the laying record with 371 eggs in 365 days (set in 1979). However, if you are in an area with really cold winter temperatures, the Sex Links hold up better under the sub-zero temperatures and in my experience will outlay the White Leghorns on really short, frigid winter days. My Black Sex Links have been especially persistent layers on those really cold days. Also, they are typically the friendliest of the three, and they tend to lay the largest eggs with double yolks not being uncommon.
Second on that. I've also had all three breeds, and they are fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom