whats the BEST broody hen and why??

fdnick

Master Chicken Hoarder
12 Years
Aug 22, 2007
Spokane, Wa.
This has probally been asked before
tongue.png

I have always liked a wyandotte hen for hatching out eggs.. whats your BEST broody hen and why?
Denna

Araucanas. (Real ones, not hatchery mutts)

Why? Wow. . . Because of my 11 girls who began laying 1-2 months ago, I've got one broody, then two, then four, now FIVE broody pullets!! And get this - If they're not brooding on anything - They will NOT stop until something peeps and comes out from under them!
wink.png
Oh and forget about trying to break them of their broodiness. . . .

Even my Ameraucanas and Marans cannot win the broody contest with my Araucanas. . .

My BO would try to hatch anything (she once tried hatching half of a corn cob). So from personal experience i would go with BO but many ppl say silkies and cochins are the best.

How funny.. never thought of them being the broody kind.. our wheatens love to go broody but our black coppers NEVER wanted to sit!!! maybe a day then they would get bored and wander off!!! LOL

I would say bantams! I have bantam hens and not a day went by this spring/summer when at least one of them wasn't broody. Seriously. The bantam EEs were definitely the broodiest, followed by the bantam wyandottes, and even my silver sebright. Only my bantam barred rock and bantam buff brahmas didn't go broody. I don't know what it is about bantams, but they are broody broody broody!

Favorite Broody Bantam = Silkies
Favorite Broody Large Fowl = Orpingtons

Forgot the "Why" part. Both are extremely calm, docile, friendly (even while setting) and unlikely to trample eggs. Both are extremely motivated setters. Sometimes I think they would try to hatch rocks if you would let them. After the hatch they are both good mothers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom