Whats the best chicken and age to butcher and eat?

I don't think I would hang it like a pheasant, but after you've washed the bird for the final time, I've read on several websites that it should be just towel dried and kept in the fridge for 30 hours before freezing or cooking the bird.

When's the best age to butcher my backyard roos? what about storing n freezing them . I hav Standard cochins, Wyandotte's, sex links, salmon faberolle, Turkens, Sex links, n light dark n buff Brahmas right now they r 20 weeks of age.

Hi, you can butcher any time now.
I always recommend having the roos intended for meat to be on meat bird feed for the best weight.
They will need to be soaked in ice water for several hours, (some use a salt brine) then towel dried and transferred to the fridge to rest for a couple of days before eating. If you want to freeze them, use shrink bags so you don't end up with freezer burn.

I have three Roos that are not meat birds, Americana,brahma crosse, they are approx 8-10 weeks old. Not sure how much longer the neighbour will put up with roosters I'm not supposed to have..( city bylaw) . What do you think if I butchered them at 14 weeks.. . Would they not be good? I'm new at this

Thanks everyone. I have home hatched RIR, but they seem realy small at 12 weeks. We were going to eat what we did not keep, but do not know if it is worth effort.

Just bringing​ this post up as I'm going to be finishing a BR/NH roo 18 weeks and a EE 17 months(she's eating eggs) and a 4/5 year old hen(hit and miss with more miss on egg production). Should be an interesting comparison.

Will try and remember to post the findings. Processing will be done in a couple of days.

Hey cornfed! I'd be inter eyes in your results. Just butchered a lavender Orpington roo today (hatched in Nov). Put him directly in the oven. Meat was chewy. Looks like I should have soaked him in brine and let him rest in the fridge a day or two. Curious to hear your results.

Haven't forgotten, did forget Easter was about to happen! I'm going to try and process this week. Was planning on letting them rest for a day or 2 in fridge and freeze the older birds and eat the November roo. I was clipping wings last week and when I did his I gave him a once over and he felt a bit skinny. I'm just free range feeding but we have a lot of bug and worms and the eggs we get are really tasty! So I hope the extra couple of weeks helps. But I will definitely post the results of him and when we cook the EE and the old lady
1f644.png

Back
Top Bottom