Whats the best chicken and age to butcher and eat?

I've done a few Orpingtons. Good eating, and a decent amount of meat for a dual-purpose. I like dual-purpose birds in the 12-16 week range for the tenderness issues mentioned here.

My favorites are the New Hampshires.

Richard

Have you ever dressed Orpingtons? If so what age do you suggest?

Thx for your advice,I cooked my first hen,it was harder than wood,,it was a egg layer ,2 yrs old now I know why,lol but how will I pick a young hen to eat? And mine are small warrens 13 weeks you think I'm keen to taste one cause I spend a lot of time n money on them but I want to pick a tasty one ,I've got young ones, can I eat one of them, thx john,,,

The older ones are good for stew or any crock pot dish. I fried an older rooster once. It made a memorable meal. Inedible, but memorable. As in no one ever forgot or allowed me to. You absolutely could not chew it. A fork bounced off. We ended up having a fried chicken dinner minus the chicken. I put the rooster in a crockpot and we ate him the next day.

Hey family!
I am getting ready to order chicks from McMurray. I was wondering, what are the best type of chicken ( Best tasting ). And also when is the best age to butcher them to eat them? Please help so I can order soon today! thanks
I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier. When I buy meat chickens from Murray McMurray I get the BBQ Special. They are a litle cheaper that way. Do NOT confuse the BBQ Special with the Frying Pan Special. The Frying Pan Special is males of the egg laying breeds. The BBQ special is all meat chickens, Cornish Roasters and Cornish Cross.

Hey, I have a batch of seven chicks that are now 5 weeks old, all Orpingtons (Mamas are black or buff, Papa is buff) and am beginning to think that the majority of them are male, unlike our previous hatches. It's very hard to find homes for roos here, and I am wondering if the males can be processed for meat, and if so, at what age? We are pretty new to chickens and have so far raised for egg production only. Advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

I butchered an orpington roo at about 6 months. He was a hatchery sexing oops and we can't have the noise in our neighborhood. After resting the meat in the fridge (forget how long) he was very buttery tasting roasted. Not much meat compared to Purdue of course. Chicken stock made from the carcass was FANTASTIC. Of course, organic feed all the way from the beginning.

Hi Everyone,

So I have some Barred Rocks and Some Production reds (5 of each) and three roos ( a barred rock, a Black dude with a green tint (can't remember the breed) and a lil white bantam roo) the hens started laying eggs about 4 weeks ago and I just stuck 15 of them in to the incubator to see if I can generate some meat! anybody have any ideas on what I'm going to end up with? Sounds like 12 - 16 weeks will be the right butcher age?

Whadda ya'll think?

Ok, So our orpingtons are 6 months of age now, we have dressed out a few more of our roo's. While too tough for frying instantly, marinated in meat tenderizer and spices then baked... AWSOME! I Now have had one soaking in salt water with tenderizer For 48 hrs and am going to try frying it. I will let you know how this works out!

Hey, I have a batch of seven chicks that are now 5 weeks old, all Orpingtons (Mamas are black or buff, Papa is buff) and am beginning to think that the majority of them are male, unlike our previous hatches. It's very hard to find homes for roos here, and I am wondering if the males can be processed for meat, and if so, at what age? We are pretty new to chickens and have so far raised for egg production only. Advice would be much appreciated, thanks!
Caponize them.

If you do it in the next few weeks they won't crow and they meat will not get tough as they age.

Back
Top Bottom