What's the best feed for a mixed flock?

Jemma Rider

Songster
Nov 25, 2017
Maryland
Hello.
I'm trying to figure out what the best feed is for my flock, as in brand. I usually buy whatever's cheapest or on sale, but i don't think this is optimal. I have four hens, two Easter eggers and two Ameraucanas, as well as a mixed breed rooster (he's half barred rock and half Brahma, he has some other breeds mixed in but none as prominent). The girls have oyster shells for calcium and everybody gets kitchen scraps (not often, we usually give them any uncooked vegetables we won't eat, and i occasionally share my breakfast with them when i eat outside).
I want to make sure the chickens get all of the nutrients they need and i want to make sure my rooster doesn't get too much calcium.

Until now, I've done the same thing as you (whatever I could find cheapest). I've gained several chickens of different ages this summer and I've decided to switch to Purina Flock Raiser. I can give this to all the chickens of every stage and age, and I just offer oyster shell for calcium on the side for the layers. Might be something you could try?

The brand doesn't matter, use what's best turnaround therefore freshest that meets your all flock criteria. Any non medicated starter or grower blend will do as an all flock type feed. If you don't want crumbles and prefer pellets a gamebird/turkey finisher makes for an excellent all flock feed too. Turkey starters are really too high in protein and crumble anyway so non medicated chick starter/grower is what you want. Turkey finishers are pellet and at the same protein content as a chick starter, 18-20%.

Yup, Kiki's working on collecting as much feed info, compiling a chart that will be VERY HELPFUL making decisions.

I used to feed layer, now I feed Flock Raiser (fermented) with Oyster Shells on the side. A lot easier than switching feed per stage and alot less storage issues.

Until now, I've done the same thing as you (whatever I could find cheapest). I've gained several chickens of different ages this summer and I've decided to switch to Purina Flock Raiser. I can give this to all the chickens of every stage and age, and I just offer oyster shell for calcium on the side for the layers. Might be something you could try?
That sounds like it would work really well for me. I'm adding some young chickens to my flock later in the summer and I've been wondering how I'm supposed to keep them away from the layers pellets.

Oh i forgot to add i want a feed without animal protein. My chickens free range so they get bugs and all but i don't eat meat myself and i don't imagine any meat in poultry feed is coming from very well taken care of animals. Can i just check ingredients on the bags of feed? Or are there any specific brands? I read that deceased diary cows are recycled into dog food and can be in chicken feed and i do not want to buy a product with that stuff in it for my chooks.
Can the chickens get enough animal protein free ranging? They catch frogs and mice and a lot of bugs since we are near a little wooded area, so i imagine it would be enough but i don't want them being deficient in anything.

Back
Top Bottom