What's the best inexpensive chicken feed?

There isn't going to be an inexpensive feed other than crumble and pellets. That's really the only way to be sure they're getting everything they need anyways.

Did you have a necropolis done on either? What breed are they? At 3.5 years, they could just be at the end of their life
3.5 years is not an old chicken. I have had chickens live up to ten years old. I just had a hen die at 8 years old. I never feed them pellets they live on a diet of free choice crumble and free choice scratch plus whatever bugs and weeds they find on the ground. They all roam around 3/4 of an acre of land. Any scratch is fine including Costco wild bird seed, which I mix together with my scratch. I sometimes add black oil sunflower seeds to their scratch if I have them. If you give them room to free range and any crumble and scratch they will pick out what they need to eat. They always have fresh water and I hardly ever have any sick chickens. They also get fresh greens when I have them. I also put diatomaceous earth mixed in with their feed which takes care of any internal and external parasites. I eat their eggs I never eat them, they are friends and companions. If you let them free range around your property it helps tremendously on what they find to eat. I understand not everyone has the room to do that. I am fortunate enough to have land that gives me that opportunity to allow my chickens to roam around safely.

3.5 years is not an old chicken. I have had chickens live up to ten years old. I just had a hen die at 8 years old. I never feed them pellets they live on a diet of free choice crumble and free choice scratch plus whatever bugs and weeds they find on the ground. They all roam around 3/4 of an acre of land. Any scratch is fine including Costco wild bird seed, which I mix together with my scratch. I sometimes add black oil sunflower seeds to their scratch if I have them. If you give them room to free range and any crumble and scratch they will pick out what they need to eat. They always have fresh water and I hardly ever have any sick chickens. They also get fresh greens when I have them. I also put diatomaceous earth mixed in with their feed which takes care of any internal and external parasites. I eat their eggs I never eat them, they are friends and companions. If you let them free range around your property it helps tremendously on what they find to eat. I understand not everyone has the room to do that. I am fortunate enough to have land that gives me that opportunity to allow my chickens to roam around safely.
For some birds, 3.5 years is a long life span. It depends on their genetics and breeding, which is why I asked what breed the bird was. Some birds live for 10 years, and some don't get close to that. I have birds in both of those groups.

I'm not sure where you live. But where I live, there really aren't any "good inexpensive feed". The inexpensive feeds are usually deficient in one thing or another. And I wouldn't trust feeding it to my chickens. Plus the price of feed can vary from state to state, region to region. I use Purina Flock Raiser, with crushed oyster shells on the side for the pullets. And I pay $27 for a 50lb bag. Which breaks down to $0.54/lb. I know there are some regions of the country that are much cheaper. I live in Taxachusetts though. Nothing is cheap here.

I'm not sure where you live. But where I live, there really aren't any "good inexpensive feed". The inexpensive feeds are usually deficient in one thing or another. And I wouldn't trust feeding it to my chickens. Plus the price of feed can vary from state to state, region to region. I use Purina Flock Raiser, with crushed oyster shells on the side for the pullets. And I pay $27 for a 50lb bag. Which breaks down to $0.54/lb. I know there are some regions of the country that are much cheaper. I live in Taxachusetts though. Nothing is cheap here. LOL
F-R-M has been supplying quality mineral and feed products to the southeastern FLIT RIVER MILL uses locally grown ingredients manufactured in a historic mill and it’s affordable

F-R-M has been supplying quality mineral and feed products to the southeastern FLIT RIVER MILL uses locally grown ingredients manufactured in a historic mill and it’s affordable

We have also started feeding the dogs their dog food n problems nearly identical to the expncive stuff we can’t afford no longer

Back
Top Bottom