What's the best inexpensive chicken feed?

I have a cockerel flock that I keep as pets, I have raised them from day old. I too, try to keep the food bill down, because they do eat lot, lol.
It depends on where you are. Here, we can get on-expiry bread for free when we spend enough in a local store, we can also got okara for free from a local bean curd/soy milk shop. We just boil the okara for 5-10 minutes and give it to our cockerels, together with chick starter, chicken scratch, about to expire rice that we purchase from a discount store that sells about to expire food.
If you have a large compost pile, your chicken maybe able to supplement their diet with worms & crickets etc in the compost pile. If you chickens free range, they will also eat a lot of grass willingly.
On our hobby farm, we grow sweet potatoes, sorgham, corn, and sunflowers, so our chooks also get those crops. But like I said, our cockerels do eat a lot, and as a hobby farm, those crops are hardly enough for them.

This is the nutrition label on their pellets. And how big the cup is for scratch. I take the scratch and pour handfuls thought the yard so there's a pile for each chicken and a little more.
The label is pretty typical of a layer formulation. 16% crude protein. 0.6% lys, can't read the Met, Calcium 4%, phos 0.45%. In short, its overpriced for what it provides. I buy a similar product for $14/50# bag

That cup is at least 2 cups, LOL & you gave them 2 of those? That is a lot, but years ago I probably gave that much & I never had deaths from it or any deaths for that matter. I actually go the limit daily of 1 cup for 16 birds (actually 19 now) which is 16 TBSP. They get some greens when I have them, I am not a stickler for the amount of treats they get. Birds die from any number of reasons.

I found it watching itself earlier in a mirror in the run.
Ducks and geese, like chickens, are flock animals. Your bird needs a companion. If you can't get the other bird, you can give yours a small stuffed animal as a companion along with the mirror. That will help some... It probably misses its friend.

Ducks and geese, like chickens, are flock animals. Your bird needs a companion. If you can't get the other bird, you can give yours a small stuffed animal as a companion along with the mirror. That will help some... It probably misses its friend.
I'm happy to say she decided to give me the 2nd goose after all ! She dropped it off last night before dark! They are back together in their new home! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom