Whats the best kind of duck food?

DuckLover179

Waddles & Puddles
9 Years
Nov 28, 2010
California
I am thinking about getting Mazuri : http://shop.mazuri.com/mazuriwaterfowlsarter.aspx

But
I don't know, is it a good duck food????

Thanks!
smile.png

It's pricey. I pay about 15 dollars for 50 pounds at the feed store. I'm buying the Nutrena Naturewise Poultry Grower/Developer Crumble.
You are basically looking for 16-17% protein. I offer oystershell on the side for the laying hens so they drake does not get extra calcium. They are also getting granite grit now that it is winter, so they can digest their food. That's all you need, really.

I feed a chicken mash to mine. We have a mill a few miles away that grows and grinds their own. The ducks love it. It is 16% but I also offer whole grains or rolled oats. I also keep the oyster shell in a different bowl for them and mine free range every day. They have access to chick starter but don;t eat it and I mix some hog food in sometimes but they don;t touch that either. They love the mash but seldom eat the whole grains.
When we processed one of our extra drakes a few weeks ago he did not have a lot of fat on him so I know the mash isn't too fatty and he probably grazed enough it kept fat off. He also wasn't too meaty but that could have been from having so many girls and free ranging.

I have tried pellets but they won't eat any brand I have bought. The only pellets they will eat are a certain brand of rabbit pellets.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Its very pricey if your going to be feeding it to domestic ducks that eat like boar hogs and go through a bag in what seems like a week. There are lots of different feeds out there that are half the price and have the same nutritional value. I feed mine purina flock raiser and during the winter i mix it with chicken scratch for extra fat.

Last edited:
We feed Mazuri and LOVE it. The feed store ran out once, and I got a bag of Flock Raiser instead, and it was so messy, and I swear they went through it faster. I'm also pretty convinced there was more poop. And that's saying a lot; they already poop so much. I think the protein is on the lower end of things, but I don't remember exactly. Our ducks free range during the day, so I don't worry too much - they seem to find plenty of other yummy things to eat in the yard, and they certainly are healthy.

We only have four ducks, though, so I don't really mind the expense.

I use Flock Raiser also. It's pretty high in protien so I add oats to bring the level down (they're pets, not being raised for food so no need to fatten them). Now that the cold weather is here, I'm adding scratch to it (oats and corn). I also offer oyster shell on the side and now that the ground is frozen, grit on the side also.

I feed mine free range poultry mix it is great for ducks chickens geese and more my duck loves it it has grain seed grass corn and it is one of the best brands for egg laying

Back
Top Bottom