what's the best way to pack hatching eggs for shipment?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tazzy, Apr 10, 2009.

1. tazzy

tazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    What's the best way to pack hatching eggs for shipment to ensure they arrive safely? I'm thinking tons of bubble wrap - at least 4-5 layers or more, around the egg carton. And then newspaper wadded up in a box and the carton of eggs nestled on top of the newspaper, with more on top of the carton.

Does that sound about right? Or am I missing something? No one wraps each egg individually, do they? They wouldn't fit in the carton that way.

Thanks!

2. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    I've seen many poeple that pack their eggs individually and fit okay in the egg carton. Its ussually a little open, but prevents the eggs from mooving too much around the box.

3. HobokenChickenEmergency

HobokenChickenEmergency Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Evansville
    I got some today that were packed so good, not one was broken.

The seller wrapped each egg in paper towel so they wouldn't budge and put them in a cardboard carton. Then he wrapped the carton in 3 sheets of bubble wrap and taped it up. Then it was packed in the box with newspaper so it couldn't move.

I also heard of using sawdust or shavings to pack into the carton with the eggs, but I haven't seen it done yet. I imagine that would be awfully messy to unpack.

4. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    The best way is pack in sawdust insite a paper egg carton and duck tape shut. tighter the better. I have shipped 1000's over the years with very few broken.

5. tazzy

tazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    thanks! I searched for the topic after I posted and found all sorts of suggestions and methods. Now I'm trying to figure out which one is best. They all sound good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by