What's the best way to raise humidity in a homemade incubator?

stitch81

Chirping
8 Years
May 23, 2011
I have a homemade incubator that while running sits at 100 degrees with 35-40% humidity. When not running it is 72 degrees with 70% humidity. I already have a pan of water in there (that gives me the 35-40% humidity when running at 100 degrees). What is the best way to up the humidity level to 70% for lockdown? Do sponges help release more water into the air than just a pan of water?

I use my styrofoam incubator as a hatcher and maintain the lower humidity in the incubator that has the fan and the turner. In the hatcher, (it has no fan so the humidity is more stable and no turner) I put some of that waffle weave, rubbbery drawer liner over the wire floor and I have a couple of plastic bowls that I put warm water in to increase humidity. When the eggs are 3 or 4 days from hatching, I candle them and put the good ones in the hatcher that maintains 99.5 to 100.5 degrees and 65 to 75 % humidity. The day of hatching I sprinkle the drawer liner with a little warm water if the humidity isn't at least 70%. When they are pipped and zipping, I take one plug out. When they are mostly zipped out, I remove the water bowls and take the other plug out to increase oxygen and decrease humidity so they fluff/dry off nice. It's important to remove the water because of the hazard for a rambunctious chick to fall in and drown.

Quote:
So, upon lockdown, I should turn off the fan? With the fan going, it seems 48% is about as high as I can get it.

Back
Top Bottom