1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's the best white egg layer??????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by robnms, Feb 7, 2011.

1. robnms

robnms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Gulf Coast MS
    I what a white egg layer breed, can someone tell me the best breeds to get? I would like a large egg and if possible, docile chickens.

2. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

White Leghorns. I've never had a problem with them being flighty, but others have complained. [​IMG]

3. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Leghorns lay super large white eggs daily. Are small so don't require alot of feed. They are docile but kind of flighty and not the kind of chicken you can make a pet out of.

4. Metzer Farms

Metzer Farms Official BYC Sponsor

Oct 11, 2010
    I can answer the first question. The White Layer........ duck. It is all white and lays all white eggs, 230 eggs in 40 weeks of lay. I know you were probably thinking chicken but the advantages of ducks are thicker shelled eggs, more disease resistant, gets all bugs, slugs and snails in your garden, funny antics and behavior and hardier. Think about it! www.metzerfarms.com/WhiteLayerDucks.cfm
    John
    Metzer

5. Marion565

Marion565 Chillin' With My Peeps

White Leghorns, mine ust startedlaying last month and they are alreasy up to large eggs and I get one a day from them. Every day!
    They are also very funny and follow me around everywhere I go.
    [​IMG]

6. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    i have 2 white leghorns and by the 3 rd week i was getting large white egg daily. they eat the least amt of feed. at first they fly over the fence until i put up a netting but i had to take it down for the winter and they have not fly over it

7. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    Most white egg layers are not cold hardy but I have had white leghorn, nice big egg. Ancona, smaller egg but great layer and small body like leghorn, and campines. All 3 great white layers winter hardy but leghorn the biggest eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by