Whats the Best Wild Duck for Beginners?

StevenW.

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 7, 2010
Central, Illinois
Just wanting to know whats the best beginner duck. Would also like to see some pictures of them if you have them!
tongue.png

I just got my first pair of ducks this year.

They are Hottentot Teals.

They are very small and easy to take care of.

Unfortunately, being wild, they are not a good pet at least in the sense of one you can pet. They will fly or walk/run away from you and i have only been able to pet or touch them just a handful of times.

They do eat and do other things right in front of me, when i am in the aviary, but feel comfortable maintaining at least a foot or 2 of distance between us.

I was considering Hottentots or Blue Ringed Teals at first, with Hottentots being my first choice.

I have a lot more info and pics about them in my thread in my sig, but here is a pic of them:

54047_p1000829x.jpg

Good choice. Yes, I put it in a few months ago.

They seem to like it quite a bit.

One of them will fly up to it and splash around or just sit or stand in it, depending on how much water they knock out of it.

Hottentot Teal,

Thanks for posting the picture of your teals.
They are so lovely.
You obviously take excellent care of them.
Are you going to take on any other exotics?
Just curious.
smile.png

Beth

Quote:
I forgot the exact measurements of space per bird that is recommended, i think 4sq feet, but i'm sure someone will come in and correct me if i am off.

Anyways, when i mentioned the size i had to work with on my aviary (5.5'x14 and 7 feet tall), they said it will be able to house 2 pairs easily. With teals, the space probably is a bit better, since they are smaller.

For domestics, I don't think pools are required, but i would recommend trying to making them comfortable to their habitat, by providing one.

I put in a rubbermaid tub i bought from Tractor Supply. It's about 3'x5' and about 2 feet deep. From what i have seen, Teals spend a lot of time in and around water. Mine even sleep in the pond all night. They feel very safe in it as well.

Quote:
Thank you. I only will have the 1 pair of Hottentots. The aviary is a little bigger for just 1 pair, but that is really all i probably will have. I live in the city and i don't want to draw too much attention by introducing more. They are ultra quiet, though.

Quote:
I would recommend it. you can fill it up with all kinds of plants. I'd recommend grassy plants. I have Muhly Grasses and Monkey grass in mine. Most of them cost about $10 - $20 per plant.

Back
Top Bottom