Whats the Best ?

Leah and peeps

Songster
13 Years
Jun 28, 2009
Canada
Hi,

This might have already been asked but where i am from we get very cold winters and A LOT of snow, but also very hot summers. What is the best type of chickens to get that can withstand the cold and heat. and that has good egg prodution?

Thanks
smile.png

I'm sure others can tell you better as I'm new so this is more of a bump up but...I have a couple of buff orpington chicks and they are supposed to be quite cold resistant, I believe Brahmas too and maybe all the big, heavier breeds. I think there is more on that in the learning section that you can find going back to the byc homepage.

The Henderson's chicken chart is the best place to get non-biased info about all of the various breeds. Many people will tell you what their favorite chicken is, but the one you pick needs to be right for you and your climate. On the chart you will see that there are quite a few chikens that are hot/cold weather hardy and good egg layers as well.

This is just a suggestion, of course, but if you want brown eggs, I would suggest rose comb Rhode Island Reds.

I have found my RIR's to be really good at laying lots of eggs, foraging on their own, and withstanding cold.

And heat.

Mine are not rosecomb, but I am in West Virginia, and although it can get very cold in winter here, we are not known for bad winters. You had mentioned the cold in particular, so I am thinking that rosecombs would be good for you.

If, like here, you only get the occasional cold snap, you can use a (of course safe) heater in the coop, OR, rub the little upright combs with petroleum jelly so they don't get frostbite.

I have several breeds, but I truly think you just can't beat the old-fashioned RIR's.

And of course, Popcornpuppy is right, I am biased as is everyone, in favor of their favorite chicken, so the Henderson chart is good.

Catherine

I looked at the Henderson chart myself (and have to say that it agrees with what I said about the RIR's.)

BUT it reminded me of something. I don't know if this would matter to you or not, perhaps you are just getting hens.

The RIR roosters can be aggressive. In fact my husband had to shoot ours, because he attacked me out of a clear blue sky, and he was very serious. I am handicapped and a little fragile. I cannot keep a mean rooster.

He is now in another dimension as a fishing lure.

Catherine

From what i know RIR's could be pretty hardy same as BO's , Wyandottes, BR,And im pretty sure there are LOTS of different breeds. I agree with the rest, go check the Henderson chart

I have several breeds, but I truly think you just can't beat the old-fashioned RIR's.

And of course, Popcornpuppy is right, I am biased as is everyone, in favor of their favorite chicken, so the Henderson chart is good.

Catherine

Half of my flock are RIR's and I love them because of their hardiness. I just didn't want to sound like I was promoting them because I love them so much. The other half of our flock are Barred Rocks, also cold weather hardy. The Rocks are just babies right now so I haven't had them long enough to judge them against the Reds.
I do agree with everything that Catherine posted.​

in my experience from my parents flock (this is my first flock of my very own) the buff orpingtons and the barred rocks and also rhode island reds are all good heat/cold tolerant and lay really well. This is just my opionion so keep looking for what works for you. Good luck finding what you want.

Brahmas Brahmas Brahmas - I love Brahmas! They are supposed to be very cold hardy. We live in Florida so that doesn't apply to us. I know they are heat tolerant and are a very easy going and friendly breed. The mature slowly, so don't lay eggs as soon as some other breeds, but once they started my hens are pretty good at laying 4-5 eggs weekly. Plus, they are beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom