What's the chance of getting more splash silkies from my flock?

Moochie

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
North Edwards
The current silkies are no where near mating... A little more than 4 months to go. But I do like to plan early!
Okay, so I have one black silkie roo who has the leakage in his hackles.. I will not cull him just because of that, he is an absolute sweetheart and a good roo to the two hens with him.
Then I have 10 youngins. 4 blue, 3 black, and 3 splash. I'm pretty sure I have a roo from each color, thick legs already and some noticible pokies coming from the combs. Haha, on one I can see the blue in the earlobes already!

So if I'm left with 2 splash, 2 black, and 3 blue gals, what are the chances of getting more splash?

Quote:
If you want only Splash...cross Splash to Splash. Or cross Blue to Splash for 50/50.
Splash to Splash crossings will though, eventually fade the Splash. To keep the blue in the Splash nice and dark I'd suggest Blue X Splash.

Id keep the blue and splash rooster to breed to the blue and splash hens that way you will get blue splash and some black chicks!

I don't really want the blue and splash rooster... My current silkie roo is good for me. He might be blue though... He looks like a mix of blue and black, in the sun his back looks more brownish and the rest of his body looks blue. But in the shade he looks black. Not too sure on him at all.

By the way, is it true silkie bones are black or grey?

If your roo is black you will not get any splash chicks out of him. If he is actually a very dark blue you could. Try posting a pic of him so we can determine if he is black or dark blue. Here is a chart of possible breeding outcomes from my website. Notice, you will never get a splash if one of the parents is a black.

Blue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Black X Black = 100% Black
Black X Splash = 100% Blue
Splash X Splash = 100% Splash * breeding this way will dilute your splashes, and they will fade more with each subsequent breeding.

Back
Top Bottom