Whats the coldest your birds have ever been in?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by andythescot, Dec 27, 2010.

1. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    What is the coldest temperature your birds have ever (successfully) dealt with without heating equipment? And when is it cold enough for on to start getting concerned about their birds?

2. gdplum

gdplum Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2010
    Tulsa
    Last night, my girls slept in 20 degree weather. Laid eggs today.

3. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    There are lots of posts on here about how well birds have delt with cold, even up here in Alaska where it can get -60F for a few days at a time and we consider -20F a heat wave [​IMG]

4. natrgatr

natrgatr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Columbia City, IN
    Negative 20 deg F last winter. They didn't seem to notice.

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Mine have easily handled -25 for a week. It was a long week. However, we are very dry in western SD. And humidity makes a difference. When it got that cold my egg production slowed, but when it warmed up, they were back in the game.

It is amazing how warm 10 degrees above 0 can feel, after -25 below! haha mk

6. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    The temperature rarely gets down into the teens here... However; we have high winds with hurricane gusts, hail and massive amounts of rain for six plus months out of the year... They continue to free range out in it... Even my baby chicks play out in the sub-freezing, wind, hail and windy weather.

7. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    I just keep the barn set up with their feed and warm hay. and they make out fine. They are pretty dumb critters though...yesterday when we got that blizzard I had to go out and rescue a few that decided to camp out behind a bush in my flowerbed rather than make the trek back to the barn! My husband insisted that they would be FINE but after a few hours...they were still camped out in the same spot and I just went out and moved them into the barn. Some of the girls have ventured out into the snow today but most of the flock is staying in the barn. My grandmom told me a story of a hent hat she had growing up that got stuck out in a snowstorm and lost the ability to use it's legs. They moved it into their porch and that's where she lived out her days...she even continued to lay but just couldn't get around! I don't think I could deal well with a disabled chicken so I'm opting to go rescue the dumbies![​IMG]

8. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
  9. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Mine have been in temperatures of 30 below--wind chills were lower but, since they were inside had no effect--also there have been times when the temperatures never got above 0 for a week. I've had problems with frozen eggs but never frostbitten combs as far as I can tell.

10. johny

johny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    -35C (-31F) outside several nights in a row, 3 weeks ago.
    -12C (10F) inside the coop with a 175W heat lamp to keep it warm.
    No frost bite.
    Laying eggs just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by