What's the difference between definition and interpretation?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by shelleyd2008, Oct 27, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I'm trying to do my final in criminology. One of the parts of this final says to define the different crime theories, then another part says to explain how the crime is interpreted according to the different theories.

What's the difference? I looked up the definitions of each word (define and interpret) just to be sure I was clear on the meanings, but it still seems like there is the same answer for the both.

HELP!! [​IMG]

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Hm... For the first part, I would assume you have to provide a textbook definition of each of the crime theories -- short and sweet for each one.

For the second part, I am guessing that you have to go into depth about each crime theory, using the perspective of that theory to explain what crime is...probably more like a paragraph for each one.

That's just a guess.

Why not call/e-mail your professor for clarification?

3. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    I think TheChickenLady is on track. When they're talking about "interpreted", do they mean explain how the crime was catagorized due to the type of crime it was maybe?

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Usually "define" has a singular meaning, one that can be looked up. "Interpertate" means to offer an opinion on something.

So i could define tye dye as a process of dying clothes using rubber bands and dye vats to produce a pattern, I could interperate that the brownies offered by tye dye wearing people may have ingredients beyond mint leaves. *

*not meant to disparage baked goods in any way.

5. boaz

boaz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Woodville, MS
    This may be redundant by the time I post; however, it may help. The different crime theories are the available or acceptable building blocks or foundational components, i.e. an unknown intruder or my personal favorite of alien invasion. The interpretation would be how you decide to assemble those components to account for the available evidence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by