Whats the difference

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by moodlymoo, Sep 12, 2011.

1. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    I am wondering what the difference is in Easter Eggers and Olive Eggers?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Easter Eggers are basically blue or green layers who don't qualify to be and usually are not purebred Araucanas or Ameraucanas.

Olive Eggers are the same, sort of, but their parents consist of DARK brown layers and blue/green layers, thus the result is a bird who lays a moderate to a very dark olive green color. Depends on the generation. F1 Olive Eggers are normal olive green, F2 bred back to the dark layer are even darker layers.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I think of it like all Olive Eggers are technically Easter Eggers (that lay a particular shade of olive green), but most Easter Eggers are not Olive Eggers. I'm sure someone will take exception to that, oversimplified as it is. An Olive Egger is a special type of Easter Egger bred for a specific egg color, basically.

4. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Shoot I was hoping my EE would lay those dark olive eggs. Where do I find these birds at?

5. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Contact Patty (Onthespot) she has nice barred Olive Eggers

6. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I think if you have a blue egg male like an EE roo mate with a brown egg laying hen then the female chix will be Olive Eggers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by