Whats the Difference?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LadiesMan017, Sep 17, 2011.

1. LadiesMan017

LadiesMan017 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    Whats the difference between a Light Brahma, Light Sussex, and Columbian Wyandotte? Their feathering looks the same to me......

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Light Brahmas have feathers down the outside of their legs, the other two breeds do not.
    Here in my photo, I have one columbian wyandotte (middle white bird) with two light brahmas on the outside. Light brahmas are also a LOT bigger than the wyandotte.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  3. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    That is why I got the Light Brahmas, I loved the feathered feet & the bloomers. [​IMG]

4. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Actually not much in appearance other than the feathered legs. Other differences are egg laying, broodiness and cold hardiness. They all have the columbian pattern, I have raised them all and I like the brahma best but they lay a small egg for their size. The Delaware is a good DP bird but the original body type has been loss as they were the original meat bird before the CX. The Sussex are poor layers but good foundation stock for creating other breeds.
    Quote:

5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Wyandotte should have a rose comb & Light Sussex I believe has straight comb. Also the Wyandotte should have yellow legs. I thinking the sussex may have white legs, but someone else should know for sure.

6. City Chicken

City Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    yes, my light sussex had white legs. very very beautiful birds!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by