What's the earliest you can spot a roo?

LegginMF12

Songster
12 Years
May 2, 2011
Yucca Valley
I have a total of 10 chicks right now. One is 20 days old and 9 are 7 days old. The 20 day old and one of the 7 day olds keep squaring off just like adult roosters! Heads down, the side ways dance and then they go at each other with their feet, like they are trying to spur each other. Is this a sign that they are both roo's or is this just normal pecking order establishment behaviors?

It totally depends upon the breed. Some can be sexed on day one and others like silkies may take 6 months. Pullets and cockerels both play fight so that is not a clear indicator. I personally think that the cockerels flare their hackle feathers more dramatically when play fighting but that's just me.
smile.png
If you post photos, someone might be able to help you.

Quote:
Both pullets and cockerels will do this and it is totally normal. You might even catch a chick doing this with "Mom" if raised by a broody - OR trying to do it with you - challenging your hand - again totally normal.

Some of my chicks (chicks hatched from my birds) I can tell at hatch that they will be a cockerel. Some I can tell at a week or two, and a very few not until they are 2 months or so.

Quote:
Both pullets and cockerels will do this and it is totally normal. You might even catch a chick doing this with "Mom" if raised by a broody - OR trying to do it with you - challenging your hand - again totally normal.

Some of my chicks (chicks hatched from my birds) I can tell at hatch that they will be a cockerel. Some I can tell at a week or two, and a very few not until they are 2 months or so.

Agreed. Also, it does depend alot on the breed. I can spot a baby brahma roo from a mile away. Alot of breeds I can tell by about 5 weeks. I had a turken that I was able to sex at 2 weeks old. There was no doubt with him. The fact that he also started crowing at 2 weeks old helped.
roll.png

Right now I have a little cockerel that is somewhere in the neighborhood of 9 weeks old (I lose track). He was sexed at hatch by color. He is a bantam, weighs maybe 1/2 a pound. Yesterday he challenged my brahma hen Bluey that weighs 8 1/2 lbs. Once Bluey put him in his place, his sister who is even smaller challenged Bluey.

I hope I get at least 4 hens out of this bunch. I was able to figure out which one were roos on my last bunch 7 out of 11 (and these were bought sexed, they were all supposed to be hens)There's no room in freezer camp for roo's right now as the deer are currently taking up the cabin.
big_smile.png
If I don't have too many roo's, then we can have a get together and make burritos.

Your doggies would love above chicken dinner or two. We boil up extra roos, debone then cook rice and put in ziploc baggies. It takes up very little room in freezer and it is good for dogs.

This morning at 5:30 in the morning when my 10 week old silkies tried to crow. Was so hoping it was a girl. Will now have to sell my only catdance silkies. Any takers in Ohio?

Back
Top Bottom