What's the earliest you've had a cockeral attempt to crow?

Speaking of late... One of my hatches from this year is 6 and a half months old and hasn't crowed yet. He was rehomed and is now living in a large flock with a grown alpha rooster and two cockerels his age, both of whom are challenging the alpha and getting their butts handed to them, so I think my guy is playing it safe and laying low as a survival tactic. It might just earn him the right to live, because the cocky cockerels' time is running out and when they push it too far and start drawing blood or getting human-aggressive, they'll go in the pot. So far my guy looks like he might get to live, as a quiet non-competitive bottom bird. So when and whether a male crows depends on other things as well, and can be influenced by the social dynamics of the flock.

Mine had the opposite problem. Before my older rooster died last month, Popeye and him had crowing battles. It's a good thing that I love the sound of a rooster crowing.
Thank you for that information! I hope they don’t have a crowing battle. When we move I plan to take them both to the new house. His father doesn’t crow to much, just when he wants things and in the morning. I enjoy the sounds, but hopefully the new neighbors won’t mind. 🤞

It seems like @aart has had a very early crow attempt.
@JacinLarkwell hatches a lot (I believe) and probably sees early crow attempts
My earliest was 5 weeks, I believe. A little bantam boy that wasn't even fully feathered out. Everyone else is usually closer to those 2 or 3 month marks. I had one that took until 5 months to start this year too

Ours waited until 6 months… red/brown Easter eggers. We don’t have any other chickens near us so maybe there was no one to “teach” them how?

We have a 2 tiny bantam mixed breed cockerel chicks (I could tell they were boys from very early on) and 1 has been crowing since about 10 days old (they were 3 weeks old yesterday). They stop whenever I try and spot which one is doing the crowing! It's the most hilarious, cutest sound. He's so quiet and squeaky, but he's got the right tune.

My current rooster started his high-pitch donkey crow at 4 weeks old. It was hilarious, and adorable. I should have taken that as a sign, because he's now a loud mouth. :D. I had the garage door open, yesterday, and his crows could be heard in the brooder. To my surprise, one of my 1 week old chicks let out about ten attempts of the most adorable crows you've ever heard.

I might have the record, at 8 days old, but what's the earliest you've had a chick try to crow?
I had a little EE rooster 8 weeks old crowing and mounting one of his handicapped hatch mates…little turd went to a new home when I saw that lol

Haha the baby chicks are the cutest!! I had one that didn’t crow until he went to a new flock around 6 months old. But most of mine have started at around 14-18 weeks. I have a bantam Cochin that just started crowing this week and the first time I heard it I thought something got in the coop and a chicken was dying 😆😆😆 he’s gonna need to work on it haha! Tiny dino 🦖

I had a Silver Duckwing Old English Game bantam cockerel try his first crow when he was a couple days old. After that, he didn't try crowing till he was older.

Back
Top Bottom