What's the easiest way to get the crust off my chicken's bottom???

gameboygal12

Songster
9 Years
Feb 24, 2010
I have a OEGB that has poo dried ALL over her but!
tongue.gif
sickbyc.gif
I tried to get it off with a warm rag, but it's dried on there really good and I can't get it off. it pulls out her feathers when i try to scrape it off.
idunno.gif
please help!

soak her entire bottom in warm water for a few minutes. most of it will scrape off pretty easy. for the rest of it just get some tweezers and pull. ya you will get a few feathers but they grow back.

I had a hen like this the other day. All I did was get warm water in a bowl and let her sit in it for about 5 minutes. The water was dark brown so I got a lot of it off the 1st time and once I got a lot off, I switched the water out and let her sit in there for another 5 minutes. After that ALL of it came off. Just get some off and let him soak again then get more off and so on.
big_smile.png

I find the least annoying/least stressful thing for them is holding them gently but firmly on my lap, butt end facing toward my hand holding little but good scissors. I gently snip snip off the yukky dried stuff and if bits of feather go too, it is irrelevant because they have a beautiful bum when I'm done and you can't even tell there was any feather snipping. Always seems I have a happy hen after I do this, as if the stuff was bugging them anyway. And once they know the drill, they seem to welcome it.
Takes under a minute - just have to be VERY careful with the scissors, hence why little ones are best.
JJ
p.s. I usually do this before taking my shower!

just had this problem with a few of my girls. I brought them in the house and held them in the football position under my arm BACKWARDS.. then i leaned over the kitchen sink and turned on the water *lukewarm* and used the sprayer on their bottoms (i have hardly any water pressure anyways) as the pieces got wet i just worked them out . it only took a few minutes .. then i patted their bottoms with a towel .. dried as much as i could.. and then let them back out on their chicky way. it was a warm day .. they dried fast. they didn't seem to mind at all either. i think they kinda liked it.. like a chicken sitz bath lol... But while i did this i also made sure there were no mites/ eggs on the shafts.. i have heard that sometimes they get poopy butt because of mites??

Back
Top Bottom