What's the expected timeline?

Chicky85254

Songster
11 Years
Sep 22, 2008
AZ & CA
I have 7 Banty chicks, which are almost 9 weeks old now. We recently heard one of them attempt crowing, so I'm pretty sure we have a rooster in our midst! Is this a usual age for them to start crowing?

They are living in a 10x12 converted brick horse stall, with an automatic door, and a 12x12 outdoor pen. Is this big enough for awhile? When should I expect the rooster to try doing the deed, etc? At what age will girls start laying?

I have 2 silkies, 2 that I think are barred rocks, and 3 e-e's. I believe the rooster is a e-e. All are Bantams.

Even a standard chicken will do okay with 4 sq. foot per bird of living space inside and 8 sq. foot of run. Based on the dimensions you listed you have 120 sq. foot of indoor living space and 144 sq. foot of outdoor run; so that's plenty. More is always better than too little.
I've read of baby roos crowing as early as 2 weeks or as late as a year old. Your rooster is likely to want to practice mating before your hens are ready. Until your hens are ready you can expect it to be a little chaotic, with him trying clumsily and the hens screaming like there's no tomorrow. It gets easier on both sexes as they mature.
Six months is a very loose rule of thumb for hens to start laying. Some will be way earlier, some much later. Basically they'll start when their bodies are ready.

Back
Top Bottom