What's the friendliest chicken breed?

We have very patient Columbian Wyandottes, my 3 year old lugs them around the yard constantly. Jersey Giants are also the top pick in our flock (pictured). I can’t believe no one’s mentioned silkies yet!!!

7817A766-DAD2-4142-A363-55113BA736B1.jpeg

I have 13 chickens of mostly different breeds and all of them are very friendly and sociable. I chose breeds that are known to be more docile and friendly and they definitely live up to it, I have tiny bantams and pretty large girls and I have never ever had a case of bullying in my flock. I have bantam Cochins, a Silkie, Belgian D'Uccles, a lavender Orpington, a Black Copper Marans, a Splash Marans, a Polish, a Salmon Faverolles, a splash Ameraucana, and meyers cookie and cream. I do think it comes down to the individual chicken on how friendly they will be. All of mine love to be near me and hang around me, but some hate being picked up, some like to sit on me but don't like pets, and others are more like dogs than chickens lol.

Well, as you've seen, you're going to get as many different answers to this question as you get answerers. 🤭 For me, my Dorkings have been my most consistently friendly birds, but they can be tough to find. Other breeds I've had good experiences with are Old English Game bantams, Cochins, Orpingtons, Marans, Bielefelders, Sussex, and Plymouth Rocks. I think if you pick any of the breeds that have been suggested so far, though, you'll end up with at least some birds, if not all of them, with personalities like what you're looking for. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom