What's the likelihood they'll hatch? EMERGENCY ON POST #5!!!

MidNight Wings

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 13, 2013
California
So heres my situation:
I had a broody hen (GLW), and I thought little chicks with a mama would be cute. I had plenty of room so I asked a friend for three hatching eggs.
She gave me a Samon F X Dark cornish, Brama X Dark Cornish and an UNKNOWN egg.
I stuck e'm under the hen and started the waiting game.
The first week went by fine, she was sitting nicely and guarding them. I candled and found that two were fertile, but I wasn't 100% sure on the other one so I left it just in case.
During the second week things started getting hairy. The hen was getting up for extended periods of time (1-4 hours) and wouldn't go back unless chased back onto the nest.

I started timing when she'd get off and just put her right back on, but there were some windows of one-two hours in which the eggs where exposed. (I couldn't always be there, school and all.)

Then the thrid week came.... She ate two of the eggs, back to back. The dud and the live one. (And it WAS alive, I could see it wiggle.)

Mid way through the last week she stopped sitting all together. Simultaneously my OEGB went broody so I gave her the remaining egg.

By some small miracle, the chick was still alive! I could see it clearly moving around just last night when I candled!

Yesterday my best friend had a hatch, she was two days ahead of me. She had two eggs remaining that were wiggling last night but haven't moved sense. For personal reasons the eggs couldn't stay.
I live ten minutes away so I cranked up the heater and drove home where I stuck them under my hen.

So I have three eggs, that have all show signs of hatching, two are on day 23, one is on day 21.

They have been through the ringer, and by all means of chance are somehow alive inside their shells. What do you think is the likelihood of me seeing three little faces in the next few days?

PS:
I know I did somethings wrong, but please don't berate me. I have done my best with what I had at my disposal.

Last edited:

I know these suck, it's still light here and I don't want to take them out for very long. The first and last are the newest eggs, the middle is the one who's on day 21.

HELPP!!!!

So my mom had me open the eggs. One was still alive.
I didn't hurt it, I cracked the egg along the top the way the chick would, then I took a small bit of shell way so I could see if it moved.
It did move. ...

By my own miscalculation I punctured the inner lining.

Should I help it out all the way to prevent shrink wrapping? I know your not supposed to help, so I wanted to ask first.
The chick within is my egg on day 22, he hadn't moved in days so I thought he was dead. Apparently this guy is h^ll bent on survival.

Please tell me what to do. I am freaking out, no ones home.
I put the egg back under then hen in the mean time.

Edit:
The hens weight is forcing the egg open. It looks like it's not going to be up to me.
I hope he's absorbed his egg yoke, here we go!

Last edited:
Under the hen, I'm not sure it has a chance. If you have an incubator you can probably save it. If you do, get it warm, crank the humidity up and set the egg fat end up in an egg carton.

If you don't have a bator, then your only choice is to cross your fingers and hope for the best.

No matter what you decide, the most important thing you can do at this point is to LEAVE THE EGGS ALONE!!! I don't mean to "yell" but you're doing nothing but delaying them when you take them out from under the hen. Let your hen do her job, they'll either hatch or they won't- messing with them more isn't going to change that.

I've been there, I think all of us hatchers have. It's very exciting! I've even done the exact thing you have, run out of patience and cracked an egg too soon. Eggs and chicks are much stronger than we give them credit for. I've hatched eggs that I've dropped and cracked, eggs that have been refrigerated, dirty, survived horrid temp fluctuations.....so yes, its possible they'll hatch. If you leave them alone and let them finish cooking. Good luck :)

Okay, thanks. ^_^
No I get I messed up. I went against everything I have read.
The hen in question is doing her job fine. She's a sweet bird who loves people and is the top girl in my flock.
I can only hope the chick hatches and she accepts it, but it all seems to be going alright.

I don't have a bator' just the hen. :/

Back
Top Bottom