What's the longest a hen has laid for you?

DurangoCal

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 21, 2010
Durango, Colorado
For you long time chicken keepers-I am curious as to know what the longest a hen has laid and what the average usually is. I've heard anywhere from the teens to a few years.

I have a few 5 yr. olds that put my pullets to shame
smile.png

I'm so glad to be reading this! I had always heard that most healthy, happy chickens will lay eggs anywhere from 7-10 years, usually with the last few years tapering off slowly. Then I read on another BYC thread to not expect your chickens to lay for more than 2 years.

It's nice to see that "2 years" business is hogwash!

My Game hen has been laying over 10years. Plus that is just how long we have had her. So, she has been laying longer than that. She is a seasonal layer though.

My sister has a GLPolish that is still laying at the age of 10. I bought her from Murray Mcmurray in the spring of 2000. We moved across the state that spring, and so she went to live in the big city. She is the most reliable layer that my sister has.

Quote:
It depends on the breed. Production birds are much more apt to lay daily for the first two years, after that then production goes down. So if you are farming chicken eggs it would be cheaper to replace the hens every two years. Most of us don't care as much if the girls lay every day or not. I would rather have them for as long as it is reasonable.

I agree, hybrid egg-layers 2-3 years at most. Pure breeds (I keep Brahmas) lay for up to 10 years,

Sandie

Back
Top Bottom