What's the longest your hen has gone?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sphinx, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    What's the longest your hen has gone without laying an egg? (assuming they WERE laying eggs and then stopped)

One of my chickens stopped laying the first week of Sept. She then laid one in November, and nothing since. deadbeat.

2. chicky_mommy

chicky_mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Northeast Corner of CT
    i had a hen who reliably laid 9eggs every 10days, for 2years, then one day she just...stopped, about 9months later she started up again like nothing had ever happened.

3. Sphinx

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    nobody else has had a hen go on strike for a while beyond the usual molt?

4. redheadmama13

redheadmama13 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2011
    Florida
    I had a hen go a little over 5 months after a coyote stalked our property for about a month. She lays beautifully almost every day now.

5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    My game hen, Miss Prissy quit laying on her 4th year with me. Last week she laid 3 eggs. I would have gotten another from her but she remembered that she loves to eat her own eggs [​IMG]

6. Sphinx

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    How long did she go without laying?

7. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    I dont know some of mine lay every single day but others i dont think lay at all!

8. jomercer

jomercer Chillin' With My Peeps

No eggs for 39 days straight in Dec-Jan this winter, and then another 10 days a week after that for my 8-month-old SLW.

9. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    All my girls slow down in the fall. Then during winter one egg every week or so. Then they pick up again in March and go like crazy for five months or so.

Wish they would spread it out, but the daylight stimulates their hormones, so nature dictates what they do.

10. flocksalot

flocksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Poynette WI
    Deadbeat? [​IMG] I usually call them lazy good for nothings. [​IMG] Some of mine stopped laying when they went through a molt (that was badly needed as they were naked [​IMG] from all the roosterly lovin going on) It's been 6 months for a couple of them and they are still getting pin feathers with almost no eggs to show for it. The lazy lot are usually hanging out laying on the hay in a sunny spot. We call it the old lady hangout. One of my older girls got very broody, so she got her feathers back while sitting on her behind oh and some eggs too. Another got separated and put in the younguns house as she was totally naked. Its really sad to see a defeathered chicken still running around. [​IMG] Those two are running with the young girls now while the old girls laze around waiting for me to feed them bonbons. One of them laid her first egg (again) yesterday, one is getting some color into her comb, and the other finally has some feathers and doesn't need to sit under a heat lamp to warm up. Sadly one of the old girls passed away over the winter. Course she was laping it up in the greenhouse where she could look outside at the mountain of snow, and listen to the wind howl, and smile while she ate her fresh grass (bonbon). We knew she wasn't going to make it, so we made her last weeks special. I have no idea how old she was as I got them as adults from someone on CL. Part of the problem was my neighbor feeding them corn everytime he came and snuck (with my permission) some eggs on a daily basis. Make sure they aren't getting to much of a good thing. They need to have the right nutrition to be able to lay eggs. Some of it will also depend on the breed. My lazy layers are a farm yard blend. The extra corn didn't seem to phase the RIR's at all. They still produce like a leghorn. Now that I have told my neighbor to only give a small amount of grain and to chart it on the board we are able to track what they are being fed and I am seeing some response (hey one egg is better than no eggs). I expect that the lazy lot will be back to their old health and producing as well as they can soon. [​IMG] Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by