whats the matter with my white hen?

sarahloveschickens

Songster
11 Years
Oct 26, 2008
Poconos, PA
Alright she is about 3 1/2 months old and very very sweet... but lately shes been acting like shes very tired and hangs her head down... all the other chickens climb on top of her and she wont even move.. shes barely moves around unless you move her shes lost so much weight she barely makes any noise at all... he poop is white and runny idk whats the matter with her? PLEASE HELP

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you feeding? What's your weather like? Do you free range, or are they penned?

First thing I would do is separate her immediately and get her stabilized. I keep pet kennels (cages) for this that are small enough to keep in the house. That way you can provide her soft foods, like perhaps softened crumble, scrambled eggs, etc. If you have electrolytes for her water, I would add that as well. Poly-vi-sol infant drops (without iron) are often recommended by folks on the forum, and may be obtained at the drugstore. Just three or so drops should do the trick.

Then you can work on diagnosing; perhaps some of the more experienced folks on the forum can provide clues on this. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

The white poo is urate. This means she isn't eating and probably getting ready to dehydrate on you. You may have to force feed by dropper. Just put a drop at the side of her beak and it will syphon in. Remember chickens cannot control closure to the bronchial tubes and you could accidentlly cause aspiration. So give small amounts. I had one recently that got very quiet but she was also gapping for air. Seperation from the flock and do what jenski told you. Also be prepared to start with some antibiotics based on what her symtoms are.

Thanks everyone for your help but the poor thing died this morning i did everything i could for her i feel so bad :[
hit.gif

Thanks guys

Quote:
I am sorry she didn't make it, but if you haven't done it yet, and haven't buried her yet- inspect her closely. She may have just been the weakest in the bunch, and the first to succumb to a problem that could affect them all. Check carefully for lice under the wings and around the vent, they can kill if there are lots of them. If you can do it- open her up and check for worms. Lots of worms can kill as well. Round worms are large- you can see them easily in the intestines. There are smaller worms as well- look closely at the opened up intestines. There are lots of reasons a young bird could weaken and die, some of which you can easily see in a live bird, and some only if you open them up (or have tests done on the live ill bird). Check her crop, was it full of junk?

How old is your food? What kind of pellet? Layer, flock raiser, chick start?

Back
Top Bottom