What's the minimum number of new chicks to introduce?

Beakadoodle

Chirping
Aug 28, 2021
We are wanting to add to our flock, but have a limit because we live in town. We currently have 7 hens and are wanting to get 3 chicks. Is that too little of an amount that it would cause issues?

We have an 8×10 coupe and a 10x20 run.
I don't want to crowd them and I don't want to have issues with them getting picked on if it's too small of a number, but if possible we'd really like a few more chicks for eggs and the others are in their 2nd and 3rd year now.

Three chicks would be fine, with 7 mature hens. Just follow standard integration procedures - "look, don't touch" - for several days, then provide them access to the coop, where they can still come and go from their safe integration area but the bigger chickens can't follow. Like a cage opening that's big enough for them but too narrow for the bigger birds, or a fence with a low opening they can scoot through.

Introducing any number that is more than one is more ideal, so I think 3 should be fine. Write if you have any issues and we can troubleshoot with you.

One of the folks on here took these awesome pictures of her run. If she ever has any bullying the smaller rung chickens can easily hide and get food and water if they need.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

3 sounds fine to me especially considering your coop and run is so big. That will help a lot. It’s big enough for 20. So that should help issues. And honestly as long as you have more than one it will be fine. One would for sure get picked on because they’re the only new one but 3 should be okay. But I would still do look don’t touch integration first.

I'd suggest three as a minimum. but three is also enough. Integrating a single chicken can be rough. They are social animals and like friends but others can be bullies, especially if they are older. As long as they have one buddy they tend to do OK. Since it is always possible one chick could die, if you start with three they still have a buddy.

I would suggest adding 5. This will cover some sins. Such as a chick turning out to be a rooster, or failing to thrive, or accidentally dies. Or if your birds are going on 3 - some of those may die. Or completely stop laying. You can cheat on numbers in the spring/summer with chicks...BUT COME the fall as the chicks reach full size, you need to cull to fit your coop. Do not be tempted to keep them all.

However, a lot of times it is easy to sell either a point of lay bird or even a laying hen for $10-25 if it turns out, that everything went perfect, and you have too many birds.

Mrs K

3 should be fine. I do 4 chicks at a time, and it seems to work well enough even if the hens outnumber the chicks, as long as the chicks have plenty of space, hiding places, and access to food/water.

Back
Top Bottom