What's the most you've spend on chicks or hatching eggs??

Ekck

Songster
Mar 4, 2019
British Columbia
In my area, chicks and hatching eggs have been extra sparse this year. I've noticed some of the auction sites I'm on, that hatching eggs are fetching some crazy prices. Ive never spent more than $60/dozen and $15/unsexed chick.So I'm just wondering, what's the most you've spent on hatching eggs or chicks? :jumpy

$75, including shipping, for 18 (received 20) Icelandic eggs. They are in the bator now. Same price last year (received 18).

I sell my unsexed chicks for $20 each. Polish Frizzles, silver laced, golden laced, black, and buff laced soon. I usually sell them at a day old with 50/50 at frizzling.

Crazy times right now. Typically buy chicks from our local mom and pop hardware store. They’re $6.99/ea at a minimum of 6. That’s the most I’ve spent but they’re always good healthy birds.

They couldn’t keep them in stock this year long enough for me to buy. So I went to Tractor Supply looking for buffs. They were sold out and didn’t know if they’d be getting more. They said people have been buying them 20 - 30 at a time multiple times a week. Had a straight run of Brahmas so that’s what I got. Went back today on a wimp and they happened to have my buffs. Bought some pullets and on the spot. I’ll need a bigger coop now. As I was walking in I saw folks waiting to checkout with 3 or 4 boxes of chicks. Crazy.

I paid $20 for a FBCM from the feed store. Yup, they like to mark up the prices, but I'm fine with them dealing with shipping losses, so I'll take the trade off. Plus I've never gotten more than 4 chicks at a time so it's not the hugest expense.

Back
Top Bottom